processor update/any advantage?

always learning 08:49 19 Jan 04

hi everyone,i am a silver surfer using my pc for net surfing ,emails,free downloads and occasional letters.i run xp home,plenty of memory,40 gig hardrive etc. my motherboard has a 1gig Duron,but can expand to athlon xp 2400. will i get much increase in performance if i change. all advice etc appreciated. dave always learning

DieSse 09:04 19 Jan 04

For what you describe yourself as doing, I'd be very surprised if it gave you any noticeable change at all. Nothing is at all processor speed dependant.

soy 09:05 19 Jan 04

For the the things you do i.e. Internet surfing, email, downloading and occassional letters, a processor upgrade won't be beneficial as you probably won't see the speed increase with those tasks.

If you were video editing, doing graphics work, CD burning or image rendering/manipulation then a jump from 1Gig to a 2400 Athlon would be beneficial. You would see slight speed increases and faster work times.

My recommendation: if you only ever do the tasks you specified above, stick with what you got, save your money and spend a little on extra memory.

Stuartli 09:26 19 Jan 04

In view of your usage you would see a far more dramatic return - and at much lower cost - merely by increasing your RAM.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…