Processor speed too slow

tuzla 10:23 04 Sep 04

Hi,

I have a AMD Athlon XP 1900+ 1.6Ghz processor. However, when I do a system check it is only running at 1.21 Ghz. I think this is related to a problem when I instaled a new graphics card when a BIOS (?) screen appeared and said my processor speed was too fast. However, I ESC the screen before saving the suggested settings. Any ideas how I can get my chip speed back up?
Thanks

bremner 12:05 04 Sep 04

Your FSB setting in the BIOS is at 100Mhz when it should be 133Mhz.

tuzla 08:36 06 Sep 04

Cheers bremner. Any idea how I access BIOS to change the setting? I'm running in XP. However, I think this is related to my new graphics card which needed a jump lead connecting, which I think may mean I can only make chnages on the motherboard itself using manul switches.

961 10:03 06 Sep 04

Normally to access BIOS press the Delete key repeatedly while booting up the computer. You will then enter the BIOS pages where you can find the settings you require.

You should have a motherboard instruction book with your computer which will tell you how to alter the speed of the front side bus. If you cannot find it try looking on the motherboard manufacturers web site for a copy.

I do not think the graphics card jump lead would alter the setting of the fsb unless you have actually moved a physical jump switch on the motherboard itself. Most motherboard speed and voltage settings are altered in the BIOS these days with the switches on the motherboard set to "auto". The manual will describe all this

tuzla 08:43 11 Sep 04

Thanks for this. Checked the manual of the MB and it turns out I had to change a tiny switch on the board itself. I'm now back to full power. Thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch Series 2 review | Apple Watch 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter,…