Processor Speed Importance

CheekyGirl2014 09:44 03 Jan 14
Answered

I have an AMD Quad Core A8-4500M APU (1.9Ghz) 4 MB Cache processor on my computer. Adobe Premiere Elements 12 tech specs state I need a processor of 2.0Ghz or faster. Is my processor faster than this as it is a Quad Core. Could you explain this to me? Thanks.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:22 03 Jan 14

No each core runs at the same speed of 1.9Ghz you just about reach minimum spec for the software.

You could overclock the cpu to make it run faster but this produces more heat and wear on the cpu and therefore reduces life expectancy so I would normally not recommend it unless you know exactly what you are doing.

Ian in Northampton 10:30 03 Jan 14

Fruit Bat /\0/\: but - if the software can take advantage of multiple cores, in theory, each core could be slower and still get the job done? The PC has a total of 7.6GHz available in terms of processor cycles available - so surely you'd back it to perform better than a single core with only 2 million cycles available? You'd be absolutely right if, for whatever reason, the Adobe software - or Windows, come to that - insisted on single threading, but that's unlikely to be the case.

rdave13 11:28 03 Jan 14

My understanding of this is that each core has 1.9 Ghz so the CPU's speed is 4 x 1.9GHz and can't go any faster without overclocking. Your program needs 2 GHz and might run one or all four of the cores but can't find the required speed. It does not have 7.6GHz available but 4 x 1,9 GHz.

rdave13 11:32 03 Jan 14
Answer

Just found this, link, sums it up perfectly :)

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:54 03 Jan 14

click here requirements

Windows

2GHz or faster processor with SSE2 support; dual-core processor required for HDV or AVCHD editing and Blu-ray or AVCHD export
Microsoft® Windows® XP with Service Pack 3, Windows Vista® with Service Pack 2, Windows 7, or Windows 8 & 8.1 (Adobe® Premiere® Elements Editor runs in 32-bit mode on Windows XP and Windows Vista and in 64-bit or 32-bit mode on Windows 7 and Windows 8 & 8/1; all other applications run native on 32-bit operating systems and in 32-bit compatibility mode on 64-bit operating systems)
2GB of RAM
4GB of available hard-disk space to install applications; additional 5GB to download content
Graphics card with the latest updated drivers
Color monitor with 16-bit color video card
1024x768 display resolution
Microsoft DirectX 9 or 10 compatible sound and display driver
DVD-ROM drive (compatible DVD burner required to burn DVDs; compatible Blu-ray burner required to burn Blu-ray discs)
DV/i.LINK/FireWire/IEEE 1394 interface to connect a Digital 8 DV or HDV camcorder
QuickTime 7 software
Windows Media Player (required if importing/exporting Windows Media formats)
Internet connection required for product activation*

Your Quad core processor will be good enough to do the job

System

Ian in Northampton 12:11 03 Jan 14

To think of it in 'speed' terms can be misleading. What you're basically talking about is how many operations a processor can complete in a given period of time. The analogies in that link are broadly accurate. The key is whether the software in question can take advantage of multiple cores (which, I think, is increasingly true of Adobe's stuff as multicore becomes the norm). If it can, then the OP's computer can potentially execute far more than the required 2 million (or whatever) instructions per second (or whatever) and thus will exceed the required spec.

rdave13 01:19 04 Jan 14

Adobe Premiere Elements 12 tech specs state I need a processor of 2.0Ghz or faster.

CheekyGirl2014 It looks like it will run but at the vey basics. I would imagine it to be very slow as to be frustrating.

rdave13 03:05 04 Jan 14

CheekyGirl2014 ,run the program on your PC for heaven's sake. If it runs like mud blame everyone but me. If it runs as lightening then it will be a miracle.

CheekyGirl2014 12:50 07 Jan 14

Thank you so much to all that have answered. Adobe Premiere Elements 12 is running OK on my laptop but if I build up too many special effects / transitions etc. it starts to lag during playback in my timeline. The lagging does not appear once I have published my footage and so it doesn't matter too much. It is a bit frustrating but I will stick with what I have and run it on my laptop (to cut my teeth and learn about the software) and then I will eventually get a PC which is much more superior. Thanks x

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…