//some 3rd party need geo

Processor speed goes up and down.....

Bolderick 08:46 05 Jun 03

I have XP Pro installed on a PIII/500 ATX system.
It is fine until I run Kazaa and then the CPU seems to go a bit weird!
If you check the Performance via XP's built-in graph it fluctuates wildy but rhythmically up & down between 16% & 86% continuously.

This gets irritating. When Kazaa is closed it is stable speed again. I only have a 200W PSU in the tower and have a SCSI writer, 4 x HDD's (seperate units) totalling 280 Gb - and I read somewhere that a heavy drain on the PSU will cause the CPU to speed up / down like this - does anyone know about this?
I know the PSU needs uprating but I haven't bothered yet as I shall be building the P4 soon.
Any help would be good.

-pops- 08:54 05 Jun 03

A 200W PSU is grossly underpowered for what you are trying to operate.

Your real problem, though, lies with that thing called Kazaa that you have installed. I know this from your statement: "It is fine until I run Kazaa and then the CPU seems to go a bit weird!"

I make no comments on the wisdom of having this program but a short search amongst these pages will reveal some pretty nasty stories.

Brian

DieSse 09:02 05 Jun 03

"When Kazaa is closed it is stable speed again."

You have answered your own question.

DieSse 09:04 05 Jun 03

PS - I suspect the graph you are referring to doesn't measure processor speed - it measures resource consumption - i.e. how busy your processor is.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…