Processor speed conflict

DJ Dave200 22:20 04 Dec 05

Hi,

I have a HP Compaq notebook NX9105 which has a AMD Athlon 64bit 3000+ CPU that is rated at 1.8 GHz.

I'd be interested to know why when I right-click "My Computer" & select properties, that it has NEVER stated the processor is 1.8 Ghz. For interest, it is virtually always 797 Mhz (or slower).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

SG Atlantis® 22:40 04 Dec 05

I'm guessing that it's the feature that's on my athlon 64 3700+. when the processor is not needed at full speed, it's reduced down, saving power and so and so.

cool'n'quiet I think it's called.

Skyver 22:40 04 Dec 05

Notebooks and laptops use CPU's that can raise and lower their clock speed on the fly according to what you are using the machine for,reducing heat and power consumption.

SG Atlantis® 22:41 04 Dec 05

I should have added that it saves quite a bit of power as 90% or more of the time the processor is sitting idle in most home computers!

Skyver 22:41 04 Dec 05

Desktop CPU's now too SG Atlantis®? I really must get my system up to date...

SG Atlantis® 22:43 04 Dec 05

yeah, I asked on here about it too. Most of the time when I check system properties it's at 987mhz but when I play F.E.A.R. etc or encode video it goes back upto 2.2GHz.

DJ Dave200 22:50 04 Dec 05

I see.

I've installed the AMD clock and even when I load "CATIA" - a top end CAD program, it still runs at 900 Ghz max.

During boot, the Found New Hardware Wizard keeps apearing, saying something about the Base System Device?? Anything related?

SG Atlantis® 22:53 04 Dec 05

ok maybe it's not that feature then.

Check in the BIOS to see if the processor is identified correctly.

Skyver 22:54 04 Dec 05

That does sound a bit suspect..take a look with this click here when it's under a high load - try to compress a huge file and see what results you get.
All I can find about the Base System Device is that it's something to do with SmartCards.

Skyver 22:55 04 Dec 05

I mean, compress a large file to put the CPU under load.

DJ Dave200 22:59 04 Dec 05

Thanks for your help guys, i'll get on to it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…