Processor Speed ?

ruskle 19:56 03 Oct 05

3 years ago I replaced my Toshiba Laptop with a newer model, still a Tosh Satellite and the processor is as follows.

Processor x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 4 GenuineIntel ~1993 Mhz. Pentium 4
The Laptop is Wi Fi and the 30Gig HD suits me I don't need to write DVD's, memory is 512
Seeing adverts for new laptops makes me feel like a new one (I have a ready buyer for mine) but I see adverts for 1.6 , 1.8 or 2G processors even today and wonder if 3 years ago I bought a realy good model or are they rated different.or are the new models slower. Would I have to up to say 2.5 or 3 g to see much difference, I DONT play games.
Russell

De Marcus™ 19:58 03 Oct 05

The one you have seems fine to me, save your cash and stay away from those alluring adverts.

GaT7 20:12 03 Oct 05

I agree with De Marcus™.

If it's still doing all you ask of it there's no point in upgrading.

Also, if it seems slow, why not give it a fresh lease of life by reinstalling the OS & starting afresh - don't forget to backup first. BTW, what OS is it?

On the other hand, if you just want one of those new-fangled machines, then go ahead & buy one - don't let us be killjoys ;0) G

ruskle 20:29 03 Oct 05

Thanks for the replies.
OS is XP Pro and I run Office XP Pro, Screen is 15 inch. It is not running slow, its just that I was wondering why they are still selling 1.5 or 1.8 g models as I thought by now mine would be classed as out of date at 2gig The main query is , do they rate processor speeds different with diffent motherboard. Just as a comparision, my first car was a 1 litre classed as 8 hp, my starter on my latest car is probably 8 hp and the lump under the bonnet 140 from 2 litres, am I showing my age, hi hi.

Russell.

No you are not a kill joy, I will spend the money on ????????????

GaT7 20:43 03 Oct 05

I think they're still selling lower spec laptops (or desktops) as there are many who will still purchase them, & don't require anything that's more powerful. Not all can afford higher spec machines. The lower spec ones are also cheaper, aren't they?

If I was to purchase a laptop, even a 1Ghz CPU may be sufficient for what I'll do with it - so I wouldn't require a more powerful one. I'm not a gamer either. G

De Marcus™ 20:44 03 Oct 05

Those particular models will most likely feature mobile or centrino technology which in all guises seems to be rather good. I suppose you could compare the two in that.. i.e. 1.6 engine produces 110 bhp, whereas an 1.6 dohc 16v twin cam, produces... well, a lot more. It's all down to technology and centrino products are really worth their money imo. Some of the mobile cpu's outperform their desktop counterparts. I'd still stick with what you have if I were you, but seeing as you have a buyer lined up... why not :-)

ruskle 20:58 03 Oct 05

Well that seems about it for my query, the processor is not a moble one but the fan keeps my hand warm when resting on the left hand side of the machine, I believe the antenna for the Wi Fi is around the screen frame but it works OK on motorway services ( a bit pricey) I think I will turn away from the alluring adverts as you all sugest and let the guy know he will not be getting a bargain for at least another year.

Still don't know wat to spend the savings on but won't tell the wife.

Thanks again all.

Russell

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…