Processor and ram limits?

Nonnyriley 16:44 18 Apr 03

this is one thing Ive never been sure about so Id thought Id ask:

my motherboard manual says the fastest processor I can use is an AMD 2.6+ and the most ram I can insert is 1GB. So what I want to no is:

Is it possible still put in over 1gb or a faster processor by updating the software? (eg. updating bios)

Rayuk 16:48 18 Apr 03

If there is a bios update that will allow you to do this then the answer is yes.

Nonnyriley 16:55 18 Apr 03

so a bios update would allow you to insert more ram and use a faster processor into the motherboard then stated in its manual?

Rayuk 17:08 18 Apr 03

The manual is for the board as it leaves the factory,in the meantime faster cpus etc are brought our which means the motherboard manufacturer has to rewrite the bios to enable compatabilty.
Just read the bios notes to see what it is being upgraded for.

AdeJ 17:21 18 Apr 03

I've had bios updates for newer cpu's - particularly the AMD + range simply correcting recognition problems - but never one for memory limits - what mobo do you have?

Nonnyriley 17:32 18 Apr 03

Its an K7S5A PRO motherboard and here is my "limits"

Ram: 1GB
Processor: amd 2600+ XP

Is there a way of upgrading more then the stated?

two00lbwaster 17:46 18 Apr 03

ive just got this board and basically probably not, unless they bring out a faster 266fsb processor and the chipset probably only supports 512mbit chips at a maximum thus leaving you with a gig of ram as maximum

DieSse 18:30 18 Apr 03

These are the BIOS updates for this board click here

Since none of them refer to faster processors or more RAM - then the answer to your question is that what it says in the manual is still correct.

Nonnyriley 08:57 19 Apr 03

Thanks for all your replies, im glad to know that a bios update would allow the use of components higher stated then those in the manual :)

@twoOOLBwaster - As you have the board, is there sound when you "wake" from standby mode please?

DieSse 10:55 19 Apr 03

"... im glad to know that a bios update would allow the use of components ...."

That's not quite the situation - there might be a BIOS update for this one day - and then there might not be. A lot depends on the original board design, and whether the manufacturer wants to do such an update.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…