processor performance

Kane_D 13:10 19 Nov 08

hi,

i'm looking into buying a laptop as a desktop replacement.

the main tasks i would use it for are surfing, downloading, burning cd's/dvd's and listening to music

my current set up is an is an AMD Athlon 64 2.2ghz with 1gb RAM running XP home and it copes with the above tasks fine although a little extra performance would be nice

the laptop i have seen has a Core 2 Duo T5250 1.5GHz with 2gb RAM running Vista Home Premium.

my question is: would i see worse/better/the same performance doing the same tasks on the laptop as with the desktop

thanks in advance

AL47 13:26 19 Nov 08

my laptop is quite slow at burning dvds, 8x, and its something thats hard to spot before u buy,

its not processor, ram, or anything like that its something to do with motherboard, [i think]

my laptop is pretty fast but not burning

2.33ghz dual core
4gb ram
vista

AL47 13:27 19 Nov 08

i will add, burning doesnt really push ram or cpu on my system, its just slow

other things are fine

Belatucadrus 13:28 19 Nov 08

None of the applications listed are affected much if at all by CPU speed, so you're not really going to see any difference.

Kane_D 15:51 19 Nov 08

thanks guys,

spoke to a few of the techy geeks at work and they seems to say the same thing

that's me sorted for this one i think :-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's most powerful…

Apple Watch 2 vs Huawei Watch 2 comparison review: watch out for 4G smartwatches Apple