processor overheating?

john1000 20:29 26 Jun 04

i have a fujitsu laptop 2.4 pentium processor 20 gig hd running xp home my problem is sometimes it just powers off as if you jusy cut the supply windows does not save any settings the laptop feels quite warm under the exhaust port which i think is normal took key board off to check fan seams ok its just as if the processor is getting too hot and shutting the system down would it just shut down or would windows save setting first? also there is nothing in the bios to check temp and have tryed a couple of motherboard progs to find this out but they dont work any ideas thanks

Totally-braindead 20:41 26 Jun 04

If it does it all the time then you may be right, if however it sometimes runs ok then I would say no. A processor if overheating will do it all the time it wouldn't overheat one time you switch on and not do it the next.

john1000 20:45 26 Jun 04

it does not do it all the time but when it does it i i am probably running a few applications at the same time if i leave it connected to the net all night its ok

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:49 26 Jun 04

Is this a battery / power supply problem

Wouldn't be the first time I've plugged something in but forgotten to switch on the socket.

/\0/\

john1000 20:53 26 Jun 04

dont think so does it when just on batt as well as mains if i could run a prog just to check temp of processor and eliminate it this would be half the battle

Totally-braindead 20:53 26 Jun 04

It sounds like its doing it when its under load if it crashes when you're running a few things at once. Perhaps someone can post the address of a few progs which will give john1000 the ability to check his processor temp? This is not the only possibility though but if you get a program that works and run it at least you will be able to see if it is overheating that is causing the problem or not.

john1000 21:58 26 Jun 04

removed fan complete with exhaust port loads of fluff blocking vents think this is the prob but i am surprised there is no paste between pro and heatsink is this required for mobile processors?

john1000 22:29 26 Jun 04

prob fixed put a real strain on processor everything ok

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…