Processor or RAM upgrade.

mehim 08:30 AM 26 Jun 11
Answered

Which is better to do when selecting options from a design your site?

For instance, upgrading from an Intel® CoreTM i3-2310M 2.10GHz with 3 MB L3 Cache to an Intel® CoreTM i5-2520M 2.50GHz for £100 or increase from 4 gb to 8gb ram for £60. The price is not really an issue as the difference is not to great, it is more which will increase the overall performance better.?

gengiscant 08:37 AM 26 Jun 11

If you only use a 32 Bit operating system then increasing the ram will have no effect at all.

mehim 08:42 AM 26 Jun 11

Thanks gengiscant, it will be 64bit.

woodchip 09:00 AM 26 Jun 11

CPU works better at all speeds under all conditions, Extra Ram is only good if you are working on Video or big Photo Editing. 4 Gig should be good enough for anybody any more to me is just throwing money away

woodchip 09:01 AM 26 Jun 11

Will the Motherboard take the bigger CPU? check motherboard Manual for CPU support on size

woodchip 09:01 AM 26 Jun 11

Will the Motherboard take the bigger CPU? check motherboard Manual for CPU support on size

mehim 09:28 AM 26 Jun 11

woodchip it will be custom built such as here

canarieslover 10:30 AM 26 Jun 11
Answer

I always work to the theory that it is cheaper and easier to increase the ram at a later date than it is to upgrade the processor. Also processors seem to be replaced fairly quickly in the manufactures lists and become quite difficult to source after a couple of years. Go for the fastest you can afford now and you will be at least a little bit more 'future proof'.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia Z5 vs Xperia Z5 Premium vs Xperia Z5 Compact: What's the difference between Sony's new ?…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Get $800 of free online Nuke and VRay rendering from Google Zync

iPhone 6S preview: What to expect from Apple's next iPhone