//some 3rd party need geo

Processor for my motherboard

Ç̧ÇØ 11:47 24 May 04

I have a Shuttle AB48/AB48N motherboard, what is the max size processor that i can fit.
The spec says 400/533 mhz FSB
The processor I am thinking of is 3.2GHz but this has 800MHz FSB, .

Thanks in advance

C

keith-236785 12:15 24 May 04

The fastest i can find advertised is the 3.0 ghz 533 fsb at click here

or a 2.4 ghz 400 fsb at click here

Ç̧ÇØ 12:28 24 May 04

Will a processor with 800MHz FSB work in my motherboard, or do i have to stick with 533MHz max.

keith-236785 23:24 24 May 04

dont know the answer im afraid, i would like to say it will be backward compatible but i just dont know. unless there is a major difference in the processors, it should work at the lower speed fsb. but please don't take my word for it.

at least this will push you back up the forum.

temp003 09:50 25 May 04

The board uses the Intel 845PE chipset which officially only supports up to a 533MHz FSB.

Some motherboard makers producing motherboards with that chipset say their boards can support 800MHz FSB CPUs (but at the same time specifying that it would be overclocking) - but they would have tested their own boards before they make this claim.

Overclocking like this would be increasing the frequency from 133MHz to 200MHz, quite a jump. I don't know whether your BIOS has options which allow you to increase the CPU frequency to this extent, but even it has, it does not mean that it can necessarily deal with the extra power requirements and heat management.

Shuttle has not made the claim that your board supports an 800MHz FSB, and I would not try it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…