Processor keeps over heating

rasalom 23:25 22 Jul 05

I have a AMD athlon xp 2400+ processor running on a ECS L7VTA motherboard and i'm finding that, over a period of 9 months, the processor is getting hotter and hotter.
The heatsink and fan are correctly rated for the processor and have in fact been renewed in case this was the problem.
When I take the heatsink and fan off the processor I find that the heatsink compound has 'evaporated' and when I apply new, fresh compound it runs much cooler but over the next 9 months the processor gradually runs hotter and hotter.
Any ideas as to why this is happening?
Thanks.

Strawballs 00:01 23 Jul 05

I know this sounds basic but over nine months you can collect a lot of dust, I clean mine out about every 6.

Belatucadrus 01:03 23 Jul 05

Don't forget that the heat sink compound is only to fill surface irregularities and not form a layer between the metal surfaces, so after 9 months there shouldn't be much to see as the excess will have squeezed out.
However most cpu fans only come with cheap silicon paste, you may find some improvement with a good compound like Ceramique click here don't let the mickey mouse price fool you, it really is a good compound, gets better results in some surveys than the trendy silver compounds.

Stuartli 09:13 23 Jul 05

Don't forget too that air temperatures are much higher generally.

During the recent hot weather my PentiumIII would reach 121 degrees F (well within limits) - this morning is cool and cloudy and it's reading 86 degrees F (30 degrees C).

You should be able to set a maximum temperature in the Bios that the CPU can reach before shutting down - I have mine set one step below the 80 degrees C limit of the CPU purely for safety in case of fan failure.

freaky 10:29 23 Jul 05

You could consider buying a CPU Fan that runs at a higher RPM than your existing one, suggest you visit the coolmaster site to suss out the options. I know ebuyer sell coolmaster fans as I bought one from them 2 weeks ago for £7 including heatsink.

Stuartli 12:17 23 Jul 05

Do you also have a front case fan?

It's also worth checking that the air flow through the case is at maximum by, if necessary, carefully arranging IDE cables etc to minimise potential blockages.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…