Processor Jungle

jerryatrix 16:45 18 Jan 07

Help Please. I am thinking of buying a new PC but am completely confused by the different type of processors available. There is dual core (core dual the same I presume). 64 bit AMD and Intel and various speeds too. I don't play games. I will use the PC for digital photography, some office work and use the internet with a Broadband connection for surfing and e-mail. I inherited an old PC with a P3 processor at 500MHz and 3 *128Mb memory and am running Windows98SE but the Broadband is VERY slow. In fact dial up may be quicker.
Any help gratefully recieved but in plain English please

anskyber 16:48 18 Jan 07

Have a look at this interactive page which allows you to compare the performance of different processors against activities, eg games or multi tasking. click here

ed-0 17:09 18 Jan 07

The speed of the cpu and memory should have little difference on your broadband speed. This will ultimately depend on the service from your provider, the operating system and the setup on the computer. So in broadband terms a 500Mhz computer should as fast as the latest core 2 duo systems.

As to a new PC, wait till the end of the month, this should give you the new operating system called vista. The successor to XP.

I would look for a core 2 duo with around a gig of memory.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5