Processor help please!

Phil930 23:48 17 May 03

My comps main relevant specs are:
AMD Athlon 1400, Chaintech 7KJD mobo (266FSB) and 512 PC2100 DDR

I am thinking of upgrading my processor to a later AMD XP model operating at 266 FSB. my first question is i am unsure as to what processor my mobo will support. my most recent installed bios (installed over 12 months ago) said support for the XP 2200 was included. Now the whole bios updates have changed from chaintech and in the product spec for the 7KJD it just says support of AMD XP CPU's. Therefore, will the XP 2400 run at that speed on my mobo, or will it be restricted to a slower speed?

Secondly, what is the best processor to buy? Will i notice a significant performance increase from my 1.4Mhz to the XP 2400 with performance heavy app's or is my pc limited by the 266 FSB on the mobo or the older PC2100 Ram? I don't have the funds to change all three core components.

Is it worth buying the Barton Core processor or doing my stop gap upgrade and then in time doing a full upgrade when the Hammer processor comes out.

incase you didn't guess i normally buy AMD!!!

Thanks

Sion 00:14 18 May 03

Check on Ebuyer.co.uk. The AMD 2000XP can be got for under £50. In my opinion its the most cost-effectiev processor out there, and you wouldn't have to upgrade you memory.

I wouldn't see a point in getting Barton at the moment, I would prefer to wait another 6 months until the first Athlon 64 chips become available.

goonerbill 08:26 18 May 03

check this link click here has all xp cpu's sorted by price and then click on the info link on right hand side to find the cheapest price including p&p, as ebuyers price for 2000xp as recommended by sion is dearer after adding p&p compaired to ccl computers plus ebuyer has had some complaints on this site about tec help and returning faulty goods. ccl are ok as brother in law has used them and replace things if faulty straight away and tec help is excellent

Phil930 10:40 18 May 03

Does anyone know if the XP2400 is compatiable with my mobo (chaintech 7kjd). the thing that throws me is they changed their bios updates....

my most recent one said support for the XP2200 which at the time was the most recent processor....now a bios even older than the one i installed states support for XP cpu's.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…