Processor and heat sink question.

Mev 19:43 23 Apr 04

I have never installed a new processor before but i have just bought a new one (along with new mobo and RAM) and am in the process of installing it. I have also purchased some thermal compound which came with a nice applicator and even a template so the compound goes in the right place. According to the instructions i apply the paste to the bottom of the heat sink and then stick it directly on to the top of my processor.....is this right?? The top of the processor (Ath. XP2800) has all sorts of delicate looking bits on the top of it and i really don't like the idea of covering it in paste.

Can anybody confirm what i'm meant to do or even point me to a step by step walkthrough? I really don't want to destroy my new chip bt doing something stupid. Thanks to anyone who can help me!!

harps1h 19:49 23 Apr 04

if you are following the instructrions, then the thermal paste will not harm your chip. good luck with your system

skell 20:06 23 Apr 04

click here
this will help ya

Totally-braindead 20:08 23 Apr 04

Just want to check one thing with you, this heatsink you're about to fit is it new or is it your old one?

Gongoozler 20:29 23 Apr 04

The only part of an Athlon that needs thermal compound is the rectangular bit in the middle. The compound won't harm the rest, but it won't help either. Also don't put too much compound on, just enough to thinly coat the centre rectangular bit. It is a fallacy that thermal compound is a good heat conductor. It isn't, but it's a lot better than air. The purpose of the compound is to displace the air between the top of processor and the heatsink metal.

The important point that Totally-braindead is alluding to is that if you are reusing an old heatsink you must ensure that the surface is completely clean. I've only recently wrecked a processor by leaving a minute granule of dried up thermal compound on the surface when I fitted a new heatsink.

Totally-braindead 20:42 23 Apr 04

Only partly this Gongoozler I'm also concerned that he may be using a heatsink and fan from a previous processor and depending on what it was on, it may not be up to the task. So the question stands, is this an old heatsink and fan or do you have a new one, if it is an old one what processor was it on before. The reason I'm concerned about this Mev is Athlons run quite hot and if its not done right you'll blow it up. A mate of mine whos been building and upgrading his system for years left the power lead in the back of his PC when he replaced his CPU leaned over the case and touched the power on switch with his jumper or jacket, immediatly turned it off but the heatsink wasn't on so it blew in about a second he said. Had to buy another CPU.

Gongoozler 21:10 23 Apr 04

Yes with an Athlon XP 2800+ running at about 60W (estimated from here click here), all that heat in a thin wafer about a sq. cm and about a mm thick, compare that with the heat from a 60W light bulb. It doesn't take long to burn out the chip.

Quiller. 21:27 23 Apr 04

These AMD videos may help you.

click here

Mev 11:02 24 Apr 04

Thanks alot guys, excellent links!!

It is a brand new heatsink (it even still has the protective sticker on the bottom). I bought the Coolermaster Aero7 fan and according to the website i got it from it should have no problem keeping the cpu cool.

I was just a bit worried about getting compund on my processor and killing it, but if it's meant to go on there then that's ok.

Thanks everyone for the help, i can get on with putting it all together now!! Cheers!!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…