Processor Fan - Suck Or Blow

Jester2K II 09:50 27 Aug 03

Should the fan on top of the Heatsink for a Processor suck the air through the Heatsink and then into the case

blow air from the case down into the Heatsink so it flows out the Heatsink sides??

no difference?

Just curious as I've got to mount a new fan on an old Heatsink and i just wondered...

Bodi 09:52 27 Aug 03

the hot air from heatsink into case. An extractor fan on the rear of the case as near as possible to heatsink fan, will then take it away.

Bodi 09:55 27 Aug 03

Also, of course, a front case fan sucking in cool air is a good idea too. The air flow should be unrestricted and go from front to back, across CPU, Graphics card etc. etc.

Jester2K II 10:02 27 Aug 03

This is an old PC so Processor fan is fine.

Thats what i thought but the original had the fan blowing into the heatsink....

Smiler 10:04 27 Aug 03

My fan takes cool air from the case down onto the heatsink I also have a case fane blowing air from outside directly onto the heatsink & processor and two othe fans drawing air into the case and two extracting air from the case.

Jester2K II 10:16 27 Aug 03

Well the original blew down in the the heatsink.

The new fans will only mount blowing down too (screws won't reach other way up) Its a Win98 used by a 10 year old. No internet of games etc.

I'll mount it blowing in to the heatsink as a) i can see that this would "blow the heat out" more effectively that "sucking it out" - which is more effective over distance? Hair dryer or a hoover... and b) the screws don't reach when sucking so it falls off!!!!!!!

Bodi 10:18 27 Aug 03

Oh well! Trust me to get it the wrong way round. <grin>

Should mention I have twin fans either side of my heatsink - and yes, they must suck in cold air and blow across the heatsink.

Psiman 21:50 27 Aug 03

PSU fans should blow air across the heatsink. As stated above the fan is then handing cool air from inside the case not warm air off the CPU heat sink.

Cool air is denser than warm air.

Dense air has a greater mass than warm air per unit volume.

The greater the mass flow rate, the greater the heat transfer (cooling effect).

Nuff said?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Surface PC live stream | Surface PC release date, price, spec rumours: All-in-one…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…