Processor differences?

Simsy 10:14 15 Mar 08

Folks,

fundamentally, what's the difference between;

Intel Core 2

and

Dual Core

I realise I haven't given much detail... but am I right in thinking that they both are proceesors that have 2 cores, i.e. they are both 2 processors on a single unit?

And as a follow up, if, for example, a spec indicates 1.7Gig for one of these, that what you effectively have is (more or less), two 1.7 Gig processors.

I hope this makes sense?

Thanks,

Regards,

Simsy

MAT ALAN 10:20 15 Mar 08

Dual core processor has 2 distinct processor cores inside one chip. AMD's X2 and Opterons (Denmark, Italy, Egypt, Sta Rosa and Sta Ana cores) Intel's Pentium D, Pentium EE, Core Duo, Core 2 Duo (Conroe, Allendale) and Xeon (Paxville, Tulsa, Conroe, Dempsey and Woodcrest cores) are ALL DUAL CORES.

Core2 Duo is specifically a new technology, high performance processor that does more per clock cycle and at lower wattage.
Cheapest version= Pentium E2140 and E2160.
Still cheap but better= E4300, E4400, E4500 (Allendale)
Fast Core2 Duo = E6xxx series
Awesome = Core2 Extreme X6800

Simsy 10:31 15 Mar 08

It's a big help.

I guess, as it works at a lower wattage, that Intel "Core2 Duo" would be a better option than Intel "Dual Core", for a laptop? (everything else being equal).

I'm currently considering between these two...

click here

click here

The second of those has "only" 1 Gig of RAM, and I'd up that to 2 anyway. The difference in HDD size is irrelevant.

I'd welcome any comparison comments?

Many Thanks,

Regards,

Simsy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Animator Emanuele Kabu’s psychedelic video is a stunning tribute to Lisbon city

Best Mac antivirus 2017