processor devolution! I'm lost!!!!!!!!

Jono106 21:26 01 Apr 03

Hello again my saviours,

firstly I must thank you all for helping me rectify my seemingly endless problems before, but I fear things may be taking a turn for the worst again.
In a nutshell, when I bought my computer originally (bout Nov 02) it came under spec. It should've had an AMD Athlon XP2100+ (1.83Ghz), but it came with 1800 (1.5Ghz). After a lot of fannying around, I got the processor I originally paid for, installed it, checked it and was entirely happy with the speed of my machine. That was about 3/4 months ago. I have noticed the speed of the computer decreasing rapidly recently so thought I'd have a nose around. Checked the system spec and to my amazement, it was showing that I have an AMD Athlon 1500+ (1.29Ghz)!!! This is .21Ghz slower than the original mess up!!!!
What the heck is going on? Is it just reading the signal from the chip and assuming it's specification because it is a hell of a lot slower recently.
Any ideas would be gratefully received. Thank you chums.
CJ

BlueMeanie 21:54 02 Apr 03

Hi

Check the BIOS and see what settings its offering for the CPU. It may have defaulted to a lower spec and needs to be re set.

Neo_0147 22:09 02 Apr 03

yeh, u mean need to change the fsb from 100 to 133. That is what I had to do with my Athlon 2200+, usually you will do this with the jumpers on the motherboard. If its not that then take ur cpu out and have a look what it says.

Kyomii 22:13 02 Apr 03

Its not necessarily through jumpers on the motherboard - some motherboards offer the ability to change the FSB in the BIOS.

It sounds like your BIOS is reverting to standard defaults - check your BIOS first to see what the settings suggest.

SmiffyRebel 22:25 02 Apr 03

Check the CPU core voltages either on you BIOS or with a motherboard monitor I can reccomend MBM

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…