//some 3rd party need geo

Processor Confusion

Space_sticks 13:18 19 May 06

Hi all,

I am planning to build a PC however would like some help on what processor would be best to use.
I am crazy about gaming(esp FPS and Strategy) and would also like to 'future-proof' it for as long as possible.
I cannot decide between the Athlon or Opteron :-(

1) AMD Athlon 64 FX-60 (HT and Dual Core)
2) AMD Athlon X2 4800+ (HT and Dual Core)
3) AMD Opteron 175/(?275) (64bit Dual Core)
Any other suggestions?

Also, any suggestions on graphic cards will be appreciated.

Thanks.

dth 13:24 19 May 06

I would be tempted to go for option 2 - as a good mixture of performance and price.

Graphic cards go with what you can afford - £200 will be enough (to my mind) as paying anymore seems to be a waste. Mind you best not to take any notice of me as I don't play games much.....

vinnyT 13:28 19 May 06

For gaming I would go for the Opteron, as these overclock exceptionly well (on some you can get the equivalent of an fx chip), but only if you are prepared to O/C (at your own risk.

If you went down this route, you would also need a goog O/Cing mobo, DFI are choice here.

Graphics at the mo are lead by Ati's x1990xtx cards, this isn't to say the nvidia 7900gtx arn't worth having.

Hope this helps.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…