Processor clocking

buckleboy 10:33 18 Dec 03

Can anyone tell me the benefits of clocking a processor, does it damage it and what can you expect. I have a Packard Bell P111, with a gigabyte motherboard and i810 chipset. It has 256mb ram, a dvdrom a cdrw and has NTL Broadband at 150mb.
If i would benefit from clocking can someone explain how i would go about carrying it out.

Jester2K II 10:37 18 Dec 03

Pro - runs faster (thats it)

Cons - Runs hotter, shortens life expectancy, can be unstable, voids warranty....

Gongoozler 10:43 18 Dec 03

Hi buckleboy. The manufacturers test their processors and give them a speed rating at which they know the product will work reliably over a long period in a standard installation. There will always be enthusiasts who will try to get the processor to work faster than the manufacturer specifies. This involves finding ways of running it at a faster clock rate. However, most of the power dissipated in a digital device happens at the time of switching, and the faster the clock, the more switches happen in a given time, and so the more heat is dissipated. It is a commonly accepted rule-of-thumb that to see a significant increase in performance, you need to increase processor speed by 50%. Overclocking to this extent would be extreme, and is probably not achievable. So in my opinion, if you enjoy squeezing the last bit of performance out of your computer, then overclocking can be fun, but it is at the risk of making your computer unstable and possibly damaging your processor.

buckleboy 10:53 18 Dec 03

I'm going on my company christmas party now, so i will leave the responses open. Thanks for replies already.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…