processor change

hagared 13:52 21 Feb 08

i am going to change an amd athlon xp 2200+ processor to an Amd Athlon XP 3200 PROCESSOR 400 fsb.
do i need to change any settings on m/board(asrock k7 upgrade 880).
never done it before so any help would be appreciated.cheers

keef66 14:06 21 Feb 08

justhad a look on the as rock website. That's one weird looking mobo; looks like it has an expansion card with a different cpu socket on it??.
Are you just swapping one socket A Athlon for another?

If so, I suspect you just install the processor, boot into bios and make sure fsb is set to 200 (presumably it's 133 for the existing cpu?)

hagared 15:30 21 Feb 08

not quite sure what fsb is but they are both socket a but the 3200 shows 400fsb

hagared 15:33 21 Feb 08

yep the extra slots are for upgrade to dualcore so i`m led to believe,all a bit tech for me at mo.

keef66 15:58 21 Feb 08

In that case I'm sure you just pop in the new cpu and make sure it's operating at the correct fsb.

My socket A mobo drops back to the default 100mhz fsb if I muck about with the cpu (Athlon XP 2100+)and I have to reset it in bios.

Is it a retail cpu? ie does it come with a heatsink and fan? If you're recycling your existing cooler, make sure it's up to the job of cooling the new cpu. And use decent thermal compound.

hagared 17:58 21 Feb 08

no not retail but will get better cooler as this one is as old as the exist amd.thanks for your help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…