Processor advice please!

Neighbourhood 13:07 30 Jul 07

Hi, help and advice please. I've got an HP s7750uk slimline PC and I want to upgrade the processor - I'm not keen on doing the whole motherboard (Intel 945GT Express Chipset)but I do want better processing speeds (currently Intel Core Duo 1.73). Does anyone know if there is a decent processor I can simply slot in to this?

Totally-braindead 14:39 30 Jul 07

I don't know but personally I would forget the idea, even if the board does take a faster processor, which is unlikely, it will not be fast enough for you to see much difference.

Totally-braindead 14:45 30 Jul 07

Depending on how much memory you have and what you do with it you could add more memory but I'd forget about the processor idea, and since its a slimline PC you might have trouble replacing the motherboard too.

Quiet Life 15:04 30 Jul 07

You have a pretty decent processor and as HP parts are made to their spec. they are never quite standard especially on motherboards.
Totally-braindeads advice is correct.
It could be there are other factors causing an apparent slow down. Certain programs like Norton, PC Doctor etc can run in the background and use a lot of the processor power slowing everything down. Video rendering takes ages even with the latest processors. What operations are causing you concern regarding speed?

Neighbourhood 18:17 30 Jul 07

Thanks for your help guys - it's not so much a case of things being slow - I've recently been given a couple of games (Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter and HALO 2 and both say my PC is below the minimum required spec needing 2GHz. Its running on what it came with which is Vista Home Premium

I am Spartacus 18:40 30 Jul 07

I'm by no means an expert but I would have thought a T2250 processor was more than equivalent to an older style 2GHz Processor.

I am Spartacus 18:47 30 Jul 07

Mind you the integrated graphics might not be up to playing them.

umbongo(uk) 20:31 30 Jul 07

Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter
is one hell of a game even on powerful rigs

check on the minimum specification usualy written on the back of the game box it will give you a guide to what is the lowest it will play on
your cpu should be fine the rest i dont know

intergrated graphics + Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter = no

Totally-braindead 20:42 30 Jul 07

I can't see the processor being the problem, you never mentioned the games in your original post. I can only agree with the others, for games integrated graphics is a no no. Its fine for everything else and even older games but anything reasonably new you're wasting your time.
Sadly changing the graphics is not likely to be easy even supposing you have a graphics port on your PC. To play the 2 games you mention you need a decent card and I can almost guarantee you will have to replace the power supply to power the graphics card, and you mention your PC is slimline so even supposing there is a graphics card slot you might have to look for a low profile card and if so you might find it very differcult.

umbongo(uk) 21:09 30 Jul 07

ok as brain says finding a card to play them is gonna be trikky but i do know leadtek do a low profile 7600gs that would do

click here

now you just have to find a shop that sells em

and minimum power to run the card is 300watts

Totally-braindead 21:17 30 Jul 07

I don't know if you need to get a low profile card, I only mention that as you say its a slimline PC case.
I would email HP and ask them about your concerns.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced