Processor Advice for a new computer

lixdexik 21:21 31 Mar 08

I am going to build a new computer for video editing.
I would like to build a machine to the top recommended spec for the editing software I would like to buy (Avid Liquid 7)

The spec is for a dual core processor, an intel 2 X 3.0 GHz or better (Hyperthreading enabled). I was looking at the Intel Core 2 duo E6850 which is 2x 3GHz and costs around £164.

Then I noticed the AMD Phenom 9600 Quad core which is 4 x 3.2GHz and costs around £171. An Intel quad core QX6850 at 3GHz is £591. !!! Would the AMD quad be the way to go? What would you do?

Thanks for your thoughts

Cheers
Lixdexik

skidzy 21:53 31 Mar 08

I suggest you use Google and decide from the recommendations.

Ive had a brief converstaion recently regarding the AMD Phenom 9600 Quad core,and apparently its a mean piece of kit...very powerful and absolutely flies.

I believe sometime in April the Intel cpu's are due to come down in price...maybe worth the little wait.

Any of the above will serve you just fine....but even though im an Intel fan i could be tempted by the AMD Phenom 9600 Quad core.
Just make sure you get a good mobo,and this may need a bios update to handle the more powerful cpu's.

lixdexik 23:08 31 Mar 08

Thanks Skidzy.

I think there is a miss print in the price list I have, as the AMD web site says the Phenom 9600 Quad core is 4 x 2300MHz not 3.2GHz. Looks like I'll go for the dual core AMD at 3200MHz, because of the price.

Cheers Lixdexik

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…