processor @ 76 degeesC

sPaNieL*WilL^KiLl 16:11 03 Mar 04

OH DEAR......

Just built a new pc, bet the temp is really high. I think it might be the thermal compound so have bought some remover and a new pad. One problem......can't get the processor off mobo. I press down on the side you are meant to, it goes down a small way down but not enough to unclip. Is the way im doing it wrong..any advise would really help.

PS It is a AthlonXP2500+ (barton) with stock HSF. ALso can you buy a special tool, if so whats its name and where can i get one?

woodchip 16:21 03 Mar 04

Far too hot you need to do something fast other than run the computer

sPaNieL*WilL^KiLl 16:24 03 Mar 04

yea i know but i cant get the proccessor off to apply new thermal you think it is that, or could it be something else. I know its not a faulty temp gauge as from cold it starts at room temp......23degrees

woodchip 16:26 03 Mar 04

You do not need to remove the CPU only the Fan and Heatsink

sPaNieL*WilL^KiLl 16:26 03 Mar 04

oh soz......when idle its at about 58.....then when i plat a game it goes to 74-76 depending on how long playing....10 mins for 74, an hour 76.

sPaNieL*WilL^KiLl 16:27 03 Mar 04

yea i know.....but i cant unclip that. You know you have to push down to unclip wont go down far enough to come undone.

woodchip 16:27 03 Mar 04

When you press the clip down you need something to just move the clip from the plastic hook

Gongoozler 16:28 03 Mar 04

It is more likely that the heatsink isn't seated properly than that the thermal compound is at fault. Getting the processor off the board can be a frightening exercise. If it is at all difficult, it is better to remove the motherboard from the case and rest it on a firm surface. Then use a screwdriver with a fairly wide (about 6mm)flat blade to apply steady pressure to the clip. The biggest real danger is of the screwdriver slipping off the clip and breaking a motherboard component, so you could file or grind a small notch in the screwdriver blade to prevent it slipping.

sPaNieL*WilL^KiLl 16:29 03 Mar 04

yes but what....ive tried forcing it in that direction but it just wont unclip

sPaNieL*WilL^KiLl 16:31 03 Mar 04

right, thanks alot mate, ill try that. I still need to apply new thermal compound after i have removed the HSF though, dont i??????

Gongoozler 16:32 03 Mar 04

58 idle and 76 when playing fast games suggests to mw that the thermal compound is doing it's job. It may be that there isn't sufficient airflow to the heatsink. Make sure that the air path isn't restricted by ide cables. Otherwise you may need better case cooling of a larger cpu heatsink.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…