Processor

swanny2 16:39 23 Dec 06

Can some 1 explain please what i need too doand is it a Big job..thanmy processor is 1.10ghz a game i want too run requires 1.6ghz.
Is this a big job too swap . an where do i get 1 from.. thx all if u can help .

chub_tor 17:36 23 Dec 06

Changing a processor is not for the inexperienced or the faint hearted. There is a lot that you need to know about how computers are constructed, how they work and what to do if things go wrong. You will need to know what motherboard you have, its BIOS version to find out if it supports a faster processor, and the type of memory that you have,you might find this lind useful click here

swanny2 17:54 23 Dec 06

How do i find out mate if i can upgrade me procesor.. thanks.

VoG II 20:05 23 Dec 06

As a first step run click here then tell us which motherboard you have.

swanny2 20:35 23 Dec 06

Cheers vOG

Processor a Main Circuit Board b
1.10 gigahertz AMD Athlon XP
128 kilobyte primary memory cache
256 kilobyte secondary memory cache

VoG II 20:45 23 Dec 06

What does it say under 'Main Circuit Board'?

swanny2 21:10 23 Dec 06

Board: ECS K7S5A 1.0
Bus Clock: 66 megahertz

terryf 04:58 24 Dec 06

You would probably better off to click here or click here and get yourself an updated machine for less than you could buy the parts with a much greater chance of satisfaction than to assemble a new mobo, processor, maybe an uprated power supply and also a graphics card if you intend to do gamimg

ICF 09:41 24 Dec 06
  swanny2 10:12 24 Dec 06

Hmm u recomend i get a new pc. As long as its above 1.16ghz and has a dvd an cdr writer on it im not too Bothered. but cant afford much after what i spent this xmas lol .

sean-278262 01:02 25 Dec 06

Swanny from memory as my web isnt the fastest tonight so not able to google answers propperly.

ECS K7S5A 1.0 is a triton series motherboard for socket A and probably supports up to 3000+ processors however Socket A isnt sold anymore and making it worse is the fact that if a game requires a 1.6ghz CPU then your chances of having a graphics card up to the challenge is unlikely. It may say Direct x 9.0 compatable or similar on the game, however some games merely (for lack of a better way of saying it) emulate the quality of a better card.

Computer companies are forever attracting inexperienced buyers with the suggestion that a bigger number on something is better. Such as is with graphics cards. My parents have a 4 year old Nvidia with 128mb of ram. Quite a lot at the time. However I remember one card on offer had 512mb, however it was pointless as in testing it only ever used about 130mb of it or something to that effect. So really you were paying extra for a feature the setup at the time could not use.

So tell us the game you wish to play and we might be able to suggest a machine able to do it. Also a budget would help and are you scraping your old system which would fetch about £50 in a local paper. So let us know the full details of what we can do.

Incase I dont make it clear dont bother upgrading the computer as it will cost more than a new one and likely will take longer to fix when it goes wrong (which it always does on your first upgrade like this).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…