Processes shown in Task manager?!

TallTom 03:19 25 May 03

I am running Win 2000 professional.

When my computer is sitting idle, it shows in task manager, that i have approx 26 processes running at any one time. Does this sound like a lot to any one? I don't even recognise half of them

And if i could get rid of some would my computer run faster.

I would appreciate any feedback

temp003 04:04 25 May 03

26 background services is about right.

Many of these are background services which run either automatically or are run as and when needed.

You can configure what services are run automatically by clicking Start, Run and type services.msc and press Enter.

click here to read up on the Services section. Also, click here

Many people like tweaking these services, and I've done my share, but I have to say it doesn't really make much difference to memory usage, for me anyway.

Automatic means the service is run automatically at startup. Manual means the service is run as and when needed. Disabled means it will not run at all.

Unless you are absolutely sure that you don't need a particular service (e.g. Telnet is not needed for most people), set it to Manual, and not Disabled.

Remember also that some services are dependent on other services. You can check dependencies by right clicking a service, selecting Properties, and selecting the Dependencies tab.

muppetmark 09:31 25 May 03

you could also try click here for a very good listing of essentials/non essentials

muppetmark 09:32 25 May 03

oops that applies to xp :-(

TallTom 17:36 25 May 03

I think i'll just leave it as it is, seeing as 26 processes seems about right.

Thanks for the help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…