processer/motherboard spec/help needed

josie mayhem 22:37 15 Jan 04

I want to rebuild my computer, but at the moment I'm as fast has my motherboard and processor can go. (asus p4b266, and a p4, 2ghrz processor (400fbs)). My problem being has I want a good spec processor and motherboard, I need to complete in two parts.

Will a faster processor say 2.6 800FBS type work with the slower motherboard, acting in the same way as graphics card would in a APG slot, 8x will only work at 4x in a 4x slot?

Or is it better to get the motherboard that I want Idealy another asus board with higher spec, which will have either 500/800FBS with faster capibities regarding the processer.

Or will I have to wait a little longer ( hope the kids don't realise my stash of money, and spend it for me with their must haves)

DieSse 22:46 15 Jan 04

"Will a faster processor say 2.6 800FBS type work with the slower motherboard"

- in a 400FSB motherboard it would probably run at 1.3GHz - I remember a forum query some time ago where this had happened.

- whereas if you get the new motherboard first, the 800MHz FSB board will run 400, 533, and 800 FSB processors correctly (I actually did my own system this way - I'm running a 533MHz P4 2.4GHz in an 800MHz FSB capable motherboard - it works just fine at full processor speed).

gudgulf 22:53 15 Jan 04

I would change the motherboard first.An asus P4P 800 deluxe would be a good choice (guess whats in my pc)-it supports dual channel memory
and all the latest P4 processors.

Im not sure that running an 800mhz processor on a 400mhz board would work-- if it does though you would be looking at half the speed--so if you got a 2.6Ghz processor,it would be running at 1.3Ghz.Do you really want to slow things down?

gudgulf 22:55 15 Jan 04

Advice in stereo there then!

DieSse 22:57 15 Jan 04

Since it's the same advice, I guess it would be twin-channel mono ;-))

gudgulf 23:10 15 Jan 04

Slightly different information from each channel coming together to form one overall answer-----definitely stereo!!!!!!!!

josie mayhem 23:36 15 Jan 04

Thanks you two.

Up to now I've always brought motherboard and processor together, or had some room to improve on the proceesor speed, but I've reached my limits on my set-up now without overclocking, and with my luck that might prove to be the case of burn baby burn!

And my old board and procesor has got another home to go to, so can recover some of my outlay.

I shall leave this untick until tomorrow, in case anybody comes up with some interesting motherboard ect.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…