process slowing down PC

ericstoe 11:26 07 Sep 05

I have had a real stinker of a week with my PC being very slow. After trying many things, I had a look at which processes were in use. CPU usage was at 100% with Isass.exe taking 60% up and svchost.exe taking 40% up. I tried cancelling the Issac and couldn't but the system allowed me to cancel the svchost and low and behold the computer ran like a dream and does all the time now as long as I repeat this process. My question is what is svchost.exe and how can I stop it from starting without ctr/alt deleting?

reece1705 11:32 07 Sep 05

have a look at this. click here

Philwane 11:39 07 Sep 05

And Here click here

johnnyrocker 11:41 07 Sep 05

i am now confused re the link because first paragraph says it is essential to system, second one says delete it.
i have 5 instances of svchost.exe running on my machine 3 say system (one of which is running at 24 meg) 1 says network service and 1 says local service.
which should i have or not have.?

johnny.

mattyc_92 11:45 07 Sep 05

I have 6 svchost.exe instances. My system isn't effected. My averahe CPU usage is around 3%.

I would imagine that your problem is from one (or more) programs checking for updates all the time.

mattyc_92 11:45 07 Sep 05

averahe = average

reece1705 11:48 07 Sep 05

have a look in ur task manager and tell me what user name is reported next to each occurace of this file. e.g. svchost-system

reece1705 11:50 07 Sep 05

i also have 4 instances of svchost.exe

ericstoe 11:59 07 Sep 05

I only have 2 versions and when I stop it the PC runs well. From the above it seems that it is legit but could poss be a virus. i am checking for this now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…