Process runs but not program?

Dai A Bolical 07:08 09 Jul 05

Hi,

I have just bought and istalled an HP PSC 1350 All-In-One Printer, I cannot be sure it is the cause of the problem, but it is the most likely candidate as that is the last thing I installed together with the HP software.

Anyway since the installation I have a problem with at least two of my programs (Quicken 2004 and Memory-Map OS2004) When I click the shortcut the hourglass cursor appears briefly and then dissapears, nothing else happens. On investigation I have discovered that the process starts (qw.exe and MMNav.exe)and is using a significant portion of the memory but none of the CPU, hower the application itself doesn't start.

I have tried re-installing both programs to no effect, and I attempted system restore which as usual failed to roll back to a previous state.

Any suggestions? If not I will try un-installing the HP software although I don't really want to cripple my printer by doing so.

Thanks
David

howard60 17:37 09 Jul 05

once uninstalled if all ok then before reinstalling go into safe mode no connection to net and stop virus checker and firewall. Install software and with luck all will be ok.

Dai A Bolical 20:10 09 Jul 05

Thanks for the reply, just to clarify do you mean re-install the non responsive software under safe mode?

I tried this and the software works fine in safe mode (although memory map won't install in this state). But as soon as I go back to normal mode it is still only loading the process and not the application.

Should I try re-installing the printer software in safe mode?

If it helps I'm running WinXP Home SP2 and my Norton Internet Security 2005, virus scanner is up to date and PC scans clean.

Raddish12 16:09 10 Jul 05

Please help!!

I have Norton Antivirus 2004 and Norton personal Firewall 2004 but when i try to open them, the icon in my taskbar suddenly disapears. When i try to open them my Xp Pro SP2 pc loads for about a secound then stops and nothing else happens. This has been happening for a while and i dont remembering installing any new programs or hardware. I dont want to reinstall the software because the number of installs have ran out. this means i will need to buy new copies of the software. Any other advice???

Number 7 16:30 10 Jul 05

Have a look here, click here

There's a critical software update for some of the products listed.

It doesn't mention the apps in your post, but it does mention data loss and file corruption.

Raddish12
Start a new thread of your own.

Completealias 16:33 10 Jul 05

Raddish 12 please start your own thread on your problems and we will try to help get you sorted out

Dai A Bolical have you tried checking the HP site to see if they have an updated version of there software there, worth a try as it may have ironed out some bugs.

As you worked out there is something that is loading up in a normal startup that is causing the conflict and chances are it is the HP software if that is the last thing you've addeed, you could try running msconfig from the run prompt just type msconfig and then select the startup tab from here uncheck the entries to the HP software if there are any and then restart if this solves your problem then they are the culprit if not then its something else

Dai A Bolical 08:44 24 Jul 05

Well I installed the new drivers for the printer, plus new graphics drivers and sound drivers, and all the updates for my spyware and virus scanners.

At least one of those worked! Thanks for the help guys.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now