Proccessor for motherboard

richierich 08:53 19 Feb 03

Have an older motherboard that used to have a pentium3 866mz processor. Need to replace the processor. I cant find details of max processor speed supported by it. Does it matter if I put a faster one in. Even if it doesnt work at full speed as long as it works, or will it simply not work at all if it is too fast.

tenor 09:09 19 Feb 03

What motherboard?

calwyn 09:10 19 Feb 03

As far as I am aware, since the scrapping of socket 1, there was no real changes in the voltage requirments of pIII chips. So if your board can not work out the speed thing, at least it shouldn't fry the processor. In many cases, a bios upgrade will give your motherboard more awareness of processors clock and multiplyer settings. Although it is always a good idea to find out any thing you can about the motherboard before risking expensive damage.
I usually look for code numbers printed on the board, and do a search in google. As many of the company's use the same board with a different name, you cam usually find manuals/drivers and bios updates.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…