Probs getting anti virus loaded & working

Jackieanne 02:03 28 Jul 04

Hi Peoples, not been here in a while but looking for help. Have just had to re-load pc back to factory settings (pain in the a***) running aol 9 & windows XP, did have avg but had probs loading so tried avast 4 freebie,got as far as 'setupeng' on desktop but when try to open get: An error 1006 (000003EE) has occured. Last performed operation was:opening the self-extracting archive.
Anyone still up who can give advice please
Jackie

Chegs ® 03:11 28 Jul 04

Google found me a bit of info,it seems that if you d/l from the USA,you get this error,suggested solution,d/l it from CZ. I would suggest a return to AVG,I've used it for a few years now,and only trouble I ever had was when another prog kept opening when I tried to install it(sorted by removing THAT prog from the PC)

Djohn 03:22 28 Jul 04

AVG works well with AOL. I used the two together for three years. click here

Jackieanne 03:24 28 Jul 04

I tried putting AVG back on but kept getting a message about it not being win32 so it wouldn't work that's when I changed.....to try & make life easier - some hopes. Any ideas about how I can get AVG back & working - Please.
Jackie

Jackieanne 03:28 28 Jul 04

How are you? I've been managing OK for ages and then.............yuk everything went wrong, I've managed to get most things up & running except this and firewall (still to do) Will try your link thanks
Jackie

Chegs ® 03:40 28 Jul 04

There was a problem with the downloaded file and it may be corrupted...Download it again,

Empty the Temp Folder

To empty the Temp folder and the Temporary Internet Files folder, use the Disk Cleanup tool. To do this, follow these steps:
Click Start, point to Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click Disk Cleanup.
Click C: (or whatever drive on which Windows is installed), and then click OK.
Click to select the Temporary files check box.
Click OK, and then click Yes to confirm the deletion.

click here

Perform a "Clean boot of XP"

Jackieanne 03:45 28 Jul 04

Hi, I'm getting tired and this thing is still telling me that AVG is not a valid win32 application? My brain hurts! HELP!
Jackie

Chegs ® 04:06 28 Jul 04

click here

Download a guaranteed working version of AVG from here.Use your own key to install(if it works)If not,then try the clean boot of XP from above link then try install of AVG again.Also,just thought,will it install in Safemode?(and now I'm off to bed too)

Chegs ® 10:56 28 Jul 04

Any joy?

Jackieanne 03:12 29 Jul 04

Thankyou for your advice, I emptied the temp folder and everything loaded ok, but by the time it had finished I was to tired to log on here again to say so. Once again thankyou
Jackie

Chegs ® 03:46 29 Jul 04

Glad your sorted out.Adam

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…