Problemswith sfc /scannow etc - young relatives PC

john bunyan 09:01 23 May 15
Answered

I am trying to clear up some issues with a young relative's laptop. I suspect various Facebook and other unwise downloads have caused issues. By scanning with ADWCleaner, Malawarebytes, Avast etc I have cleaned the obvious ones. Three unsolved problems: a minor one that I still cannot get the battery power icon to show in spite of downloading registry fixes etc. Secondly Windows updates will not install. I have tried many ways to solve this, including deleting files in the relevant areas , stopping services whilst doing so, ensuring the correct services are running, downloading and applying the MS Fixit tools, all to no avail. Finally, and maybe a clue, although Chkdsk /r is clean, running sfc /scannow as administrator in normal and safe mode sows the result: Windows resource Protection could not perform the requested operation.

This is a 5 year old Toshiba satellite with Windows Home Premium. OEM but rescue partition not available = W7 Home Premium 64 bit. System restore not an option as so many attempts to update have created too many recent restore points. May have to face a reinstall? If so a pain . Can I obtain an installation (sp1) disc with most updates? Last time I did this there were hundreds of updates.(On another PC)

john bunyan 10:04 23 May 15

PS have tried many suggestions via Google / You tube. A particular issue on Updates is with MS 0x80071A91 where I have tried many "solutions" offered, auto and manual.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:21 23 May 15
  lotvic 18:10 23 May 15

You can d/l an untouched/unaltered MS W7 iso from getintopc click here I believe it has SP1 on (as per in comments), if you do a clean install you'll have to use the product key from bottom of laptop to activate.

john bunyan 18:30 23 May 15

lotvic

I think I will have to take that option as there is clearly some registry corruptions. I can hopefully find the product key (missing) using "Produkey" as mentioned in PCA as it is rubbed off the PC. Alternatively a local "expert" may be the route to take. I have tried so many alternatives that a clean install seems the only solution. Not sure what to do about a couple of downloaded licences , such as Malawarebytes Premium with a lifetime licence. Also does one somehow "tell" MS that one is formatting so that the Office Home and Student Office suite will reinstall(one of 3 licences), also for Photoshop Elements - does it "know" that one is reinstalling? Luckily all data is on a separate partition.

lotvic 18:57 23 May 15

You won't be able to use the current W7 product key as it will be the factory pre-activated one and that doesn't work for a clean install. However you can use the W7.iso to burn an install DVD and then you can use that to repair files on the existing install.

lotvic 18:59 23 May 15

Sorry, I meant to word that differently:

You won't be able to use the current W7 product key if it is the factory pre-activated one...etc

john bunyan 19:14 23 May 15

Thanks; I will try it - I assume another way is to "borrow" a W 7 Home Premium SP1 and use it by tapping F8 and selecting Repair install?

john bunyan 19:22 23 May 15

I may buy a W7 Home premium Sp1 for about £60 for a clean install...

rdave13 19:48 23 May 15

Try a repair first. Not guaranteed but sometimes works. No restore partition or disks burnt then?

Takes longer restoring to factory settings but there's a stand alone Service pack for win 7 here.

john bunyan 21:22 29 May 15
Answer

In the end the problem was solved with a clean install of Windows 7 Home premium. Past restore points and images were compromised, Took ages to re install other programmes but worth it - all issues solved,

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced