Problems with Zonealarm pro

naggis 19:13 24 Mar 04

I have just clean reinstalled XP and had a purge on programs not starting when Windows does. I have allowed Zonealarm to start with Windows. Each time it starts it asks for permission to allow -
1. Generic Host Process for WIN 32 Services to act as a server and
2.Spooler SubSystem App to access the Internet.
Whether these 2 are allowed or not allowed, the internet connection screen appear twice. Firstly for "" and the second time for ""
The second screen continues to appear periodically whilst I am not connected to the Internet.I can't get rid of the problem - help please.

naggis 19:20 24 Mar 04

I should have said that it is Zonealarm pro.

johnnyrocker 19:27 24 Mar 04

i ditched za pro a few days ago because of ongoing probs with true vector, am now using sygate very happily.

naggis 19:32 24 Mar 04

Johnny - might well follow your lead if I can't sort this problem

naggis 19:34 24 Mar 04

Just remembered another problem - can't uninstall as the message says that it needs 2 dll's that it can't find!

johnnyrocker 19:35 24 Mar 04

sounds corrupted, try in safe mode.

The Belarussian Mafia 20:21 24 Mar 04

Johnny - TrueVector crashed my system once too often (e.g. during games), so I got rid of it from startup long ago and stuck the ZA icon on my desktop so I could load it just before going online. It never occurred to me that other firewall programmes might not cause the same type of problem as I've only ever heard praise for Zone Alarm. (I use the free version, by the way.)

Boluwd 20:21 24 Mar 04

Funnily enough I am having problems with ZA (freebie) tonight.The pc kept on freezing whilst browsing this forum (both with IE6 and Firefox). The only way to get back to normal was to use the restart button. Ctl Alt Del and Alt F4 did nothing. A look at Event viewer (XP Home) shows that True Vector Service was causing errors id 5007.The following files were reported as being corrupt IAMDB.RDB and "computername".ldb. Both files reside in the Windows\Internet Logs folder.
I have used ZA for years without any real hassles but have never tried Sygate, what's it like with a home network?

johnnyrocker 20:25 24 Mar 04

dont have a home network but at the moment it is doing what it says on the tin;)

anon1 20:25 24 Mar 04

Zone alarm pro screwed my system and I got rid of it. It made the pc so sloooooow it almost stopped and at times simply froze. No za no probs, I use a router by the way so still have a firewall.

naggis 20:37 24 Mar 04

Has anyone found a problem with uninstalling Zonealarm? What about other firewalls than Sygate?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…