Problems with XP startup

rgmt22 18:08 11 Nov 05

Can anyone help me with this please.
When restarting my computer (Dell Dimension 8200)I get the following stop message:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error creen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to be sure you have adequate disc space. If a driver is identified in the stop message disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updates. Try changing video adaptors.

Check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press 8 to select advanced startup options, and then select safe mode.

Technical information:

***STOP: 0X0000007E (0X0000005, 0XF99D1570, 0XF9FC95A8, 0XF9FC92A4)

*** NIDS.sys - ADDRESS F99D1570 BASE AT F99B3000, DATE STAMP 41107ec3

This message comes up after the start up procedure checks my disk and system files for any errors.

I have checked my hard disk using the HD manufacturers diagnostic tool and all seems ok.

I tried to check my system files by going to Command Prompt and using the SFC.EXE programme which tells me to insert my original XP CD-Rom but when I do that it does not seem to recognise it.

Can anyone decipher the STOP message technical details?

Richard

johnnyrocker 18:19 11 Nov 05

that should be sfc /scannow.

johnny.

VoG II 18:20 11 Nov 05

click here

I think it is a problem with the nids.sys (driver?).

GaT7 18:31 11 Nov 05

Also see click here

"CAUSE

This issue may occur if a system thread generates an exception that the error handler does not catch. This may occur if one or more of the following conditions exist: • If this issue occurs after the first restart during Windows Setup, or after Setup is finished, the computer may not have sufficient hard disk space to run Windows.

• If this issue occurs after the first restart during Windows Setup, or after Setup is complete, the computer BIOS may be incompatible with Windows.
• Incompatible video adapter drivers.
• Damaged RAM.
• A damaged device driver or system service.
• If the issue is associated with the Win32k.sys file, it may be caused by a third-party remote control program."

with possible resolutions lower down.

& click here. Good luck, G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5