Problems with XP slowing ][ Plz help me >>>>>

Fr0z3n 00:28 15 Nov 03

My spec: xp2400, 1GB pc2700, ti4200, xp pro.
Lately i have noted that my comp is taking longer to access folders and longer to shut down. I havent installed new sopftware for agres. Upon using taskmanager i noted that my CPU usgae is at 100% constantly and svhost.exe or "system idle processes" are taking up 98 of the CPU. I have run msconfig and unchecked all unnessesary apps that load on startup too. CAn u help. I image i see in taskmanager is similar to this [ click here ]

Also can you help with this? I have pipex xtreme adsl (512/256) adsl. I just heard about proxies but esp the anonymous proxies. I can use a normal proxy fine and still view web pages (via internet options > connection) but when i try an anonymous proxy i a "page cannot be found" error from microsoft (happens on a every site ion my favourites explorer). So the question, does any1 know if pipex actually support this and/or of any anonymous proxies (UK/Europe ones).

Thanx for any help.

hugh-265156 00:45 15 Nov 03

dont know about proxys,i think you should only use if you got something to hide?

you may have spyware on your system causing slowdown

run spybot and adaware click here click here

download both and update them before running one at a time

remove all they find.

yuffy 01:31 15 Nov 03

probably find that it is a worm. Run an antivirus app.
Also run a regcleaner to get rid of it

hugh-265156 01:40 15 Nov 03

svhost.exe is not always bad,i have four instances of if running on my computer at the moment.sometimes i have more depending what i am doing.

between them they are using about 2 percent of my cpu resourses.this is quite normal.

(excuse my really bad explaination)

svchost is "windows services" that are run from dlls(dynamic link library)

thing is,yours are using all your cpu resourses so it may be spyware.

Fr0z3n 02:31 15 Nov 03

well i i have run AVG (updated) via a full scan on all drives - took 12 mins. Also ran Ad-ware 6 with updated ref file and removed a few files.

Also, does any1 know what locator.exe does as it is running in taskmanager.

Edit, after a bit of gaming a browsing the CPU use has gone to the average 1-5% whilst doing normal stuff.

At the mo, it seems like it is happening at startup. I also heard that a slow shutdown is due to windows trying to clear the paging file ---- is this true?

hugh-265156 05:48 15 Nov 03

at start up windows is loading drivers and other programs so its normal for your cpu usage to be high for a short time while it is doing so.

click here to disable any uneeded start up programs.

disable any uneeded services too click here

your cpu will also use 100 percent from time to time in short bursts in general use and will do so constantly if you are running an intensive program like [email protected] or similar,it would be worse if it didnt use its full potental.

the system ide process uses 98-99 percent when the cpu is not actually working on anything else,this is also normal(and somebody with a fresh head will explain it for you better than i could just now)

basicaly your computer is always running at full tilt on doing something even when its not,its the way they work.

it may also use 100 percent if its trying to close a non responsive program.

slow shutdown can be caused by many things,windows updates might help,try updating your drivers and motherboard chipset drivers and update windows too.

click start/run and type "regedit" set a system restore point navigate to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management

find "ClearPageFileAtShutdown" and give it a value of "0" = disable or "1" = enable to test your theory.

locator.exe is the "microsoft locator service" and is a name service that maps logical names to network specific names.

johnnyrocker 09:27 15 Nov 03

you havent said if you have d/loaded and run spy bot or similar? also when cleansing worms etc it should be done with system restore disabled.

johnny.

Cretin07 09:38 15 Nov 03

had totally the same problem, so i first tried removing unnessacary (mind my spelling) stuff in msconfig and i found this unusual thing running so closed them all then done a clean boot, and it seems to have done the job. but not removed it from the system mind you. i also couldnt access the internet. so i ran spybot and removed all those red files. some couldnt be removed so i had to do it after a restart.

wint 10:11 15 Nov 03

I know you haven't installed any new software recently but have you had any new Windows updates?

One of those caused my PC to slow down to a standstill recently. Have a look at this thread & see if it looks familiar. click here

All the best.

VoG II 10:28 15 Nov 03
  Fr0z3n 13:34 15 Nov 03

i have had my pc on now for about 15 mins and the constant 100% CPU usage seems to have gone. Now is @ 4% ish. Seems that huggy was correct.

However, id still like to know about those proxies .....

Thx for responses all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…