Problems and XP Repair-That Would Not!

spuds 12:08 26 Feb 06

Recently I have asked for advice on the forum about problems that I have been experiencing with my computer. In the main it was progressing slowness of the computer as the day went on.Very fast on switch-on to thick treacle slow later-on.I suspected that some form of bug or programme conflictions were active. Running all the anti and protection software, nothing ever showed up.

Finally the other day,I purchased Mindscape Business package and tried to install it. Things seemed extremely slow on installation, which didn't seem quite correct, but it eventually installed!.That evening, closed the computer down, as per normal. Next day, started up the computer, and all seemed okay for the first few minutes. Then disaster, the whole system crashed.Tried various methods to re-active the system, but was eventually informed that I had lost or corrupted 'System 32' problems, and an XP repair could be possible using original XP disc. Tried this method, but the computer didn't respond at all. Zilch, absolutely nothing, everything was in freeze mode.I had to finally close down the computer by shutting off the mains power.

Computer was taken to the local computer repair centre, and funnily enough, they had three other computers in with very similar problems.It eventually transpired that they found a bug and other problems had got into the computer, which my protection devices like AVG had completely missed.Another thing that as raised a curiosity was that a programme called SpywareGuard or similar named object was hidden within and on the computer, which was found to be causing a number of problems. I have no recollection of this programme or how it was introduced to the computer.

Thought that this incident was worth a mention, for the record.Still curious though, why I kept getting a message stating that I could do an XP repair, when the computer was in such a state, that this was not possible.And most of my fail-safe devices appeared to have failed.

johndrew 12:21 26 Feb 06

I also have Spyware Guard installed - it sits in the System Tray and, apparently, is supposed to protect against malware whilst you are online. I think I got it from a PCA disk. I have looked at the Log and it appears to be working and checking for browser hijackers and BHOs. The web page no longer works and updates haven`t been available for some time so whether it is worth having I shall leave others to advise on. But it doesn`t appear to interfere with any other software on my machine.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:47 26 Feb 06

There are many fake mal and spyware removers click here

Spyware gaurd is not on the list.

However if this sort of program is not kept uptodate then it is worse than useless as it is using system rsources.

Free Anti Spyware that works :-
Adaware click here
Spybot S&D click here
Spywareblaster click here
a2 click here
MSoftAntispy Beta (windows defender) click here
Ewido click here

spuds 14:00 26 Feb 06

johndrew- The people at the repair centre, thought that Spyware Guard or similar named product was a real problem to my system, so they removed it completely. Still baffled how and why it was in the system in the first place.

Fruit Bat- I had all the anti's that you mention above installed on the computer, excluding MicroAntispy (had problems in the past with that product). The repair centre re-installed this, they regard it as a very good product.They left the other programmes in-situ, but they suggested that all were not required, working together on the same computer.

Basically, it was suggested that ZA, AVG?, MicroAntispy would be ideal. The rest would perhaps be an added bonus. I have always suggested and fully recommended the other products to people seeking advice, but going on what as been suggested, too much can sometimes be as much a problem as having too little!.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:13 26 Feb 06

Yes too much can overload the system and use valuable rsources.

You definately need :

1 firewall
1 Antivirus
1 real time spyware protection i.e. MSAnitspy (defender)

Spyware protection is multilayered to catch as much as possible.

SpywareBlaster blocks it getting on and does not use resources.

AdAware / Spybot / Ewido / A2 all good for a regular scan and are only in use while you're scanning (one at a time)

My combo I've use for the last few years with no problems encounted is:

Zonealarm
Avast
Msantispy (defender) (nightly scan)
Spyware blaster
Adaware (nightly scan)

Usually find tracking cookies from the wife and childrens (girls) shopping sites.

due to the recent influx of trojans on the net I now do a scan with EWIDO twice a week.

rdave13 14:23 26 Feb 06

I have most of anti this and that on my PC. Lately though I've noticed something a bit unusual. Running Lavasoft's excellent Ad-aware prog will initiate Avast. On the last ad-aware scan Avast jumped in and found six trojans. Completed antispyware scan and deleted the usual.Now to get rid of the trojans(and one possible worm) I had to stop sys restore, scan with Avast and quarrantine/delete the viruses.Re-set sys. restore and re-scanned and all well.Why didn't Avast pick them up originally as its always running in the background and always updated?
Another worrying thing is that "Defender" sits there smiling and says"no unwanted ar harmful software detected"!

spuds 17:15 26 Feb 06

That was the conclusion the repair people came too. AVG had let a problem in that it should have possibly prevented.

I had Microsoft Antispyware, right from the first issue, but I found that it was causing problems with the computer. Removed and re-installed it a couple of times, but still had problems, so eventually dumped it. The repair people have cleaned up the system, and re-installed Microsoft Antispyware, suggesting that I leave it on the system.

The computer was set-up yesterday evening, and all seemed okay. Today the computer appears to have some very odd moments, which I hope isn't the beginning to the end!!.

terryf 23:10 26 Feb 06

For the future, consider installing a 2nd HD and put all data, docs, pics etc on that. Then buy a USB HD and something like Acronis (I personally don't like Symantec products) make a backup of your C drive with all your progs and settings. Backup OE to the 2nd HD with EA8. It only takes less than 15 mins to do acomplete restore to your C drive, EA8 will restore all your OE settings and email folders in a flash. Belt and braces I know but experience has taught me that this way works

terryf 23:11 26 Feb 06

For the future, consider installing a 2nd HD and put all data, docs, pics etc on that. Then buy a USB HD and something like Acronis (I personally don't like Symantec products) make a backup of your C drive with all your progs and settings. Backup OE to the 2nd HD with EA8. It only takes less than 15 mins to do a complete restore to your C drive, EA8 will restore all your OE settings and email folders in a flash. Belt and braces I know but experience has taught me that this way works

spuds 11:52 27 Feb 06

terryf-- I have Acronis and a 2nd HD, but like most things nowadays, I tend to forget :o(

Serious problems over the weekend. So back to the repair centre tomorrow.

Will tick as resolved, and perhaps open another posting later, if necessary.

Many thanks again everyone, for the input and suggestions to this posting.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…