Problems with Word97 running on Windows98

deneka 21:35 04 Aug 03

Hi, For some unknown reason, i am having trouble typing in Bold text and it keeps coming up with the error message 'winword - an error has occured in your program.' and then says 'This program has preformed an illegal operation and will be shut down.' When i click on details it says 'WINWORD caused a general protection fault in module GDI.EXE at 0026:000014a0.'
If anyone knows what this means or could help me out i would be very grateful. Just to let you know i dont have the original Windows disc's so cannot reaload the program.

VoG II 21:55 04 Aug 03

Do a search for NORMAL.DOT

Rename it to ABNORMAL.DOT

Start Word and see if it's fixed - if not please post back.

In case that doesn't work, do you have the Office/Word disks?

deneka 22:03 04 Aug 03

It didnt work !!! Also now i cannot find 'normal.dot' or 'abnormal.dot' so i dont know what has happened. I havent got any discs atall. I borrowed a 'windows98 second edition' off of a friend but i dont think this is any good. I have also checked the web to see if i could download any bits of word for free, but unfortunatly there is nothing. Any more ideas?

VoG II 22:07 04 Aug 03

Yes do the search again but this time ensure that you search for hidden files and folders. Sorry, my fault, I should have said that first time, aplologies.

deneka 22:18 04 Aug 03

Sorry i am useless, all i can see is the option to look in 'sub-folders' i cant see anything about hidden folders. 'sub-folders' is clicked and it still doesnt find normal.dot or abnormal.dot

krypt1c 22:28 04 Aug 03

Is this any use ?
click here

deneka 22:34 04 Aug 03

Thank you for that Krypt1c - however to me it doesnt make any sense because i am useless with pc's i only just about know how to use one.
So i know exactly what the error message was ( i have it written down) and i know exactly what i was doing at the time so what should i do now?

VoG II 22:38 04 Aug 03

Sorry I am not on a W98 machine at the moment and I cannot remember precisely how to do it in W98. If you can be patient somebody else will come to the rescue (woodchip? - I'll give him a nudge).

NORMAL.DOT is the default Word template and if it gets corrupted causes exactly the type of error that you describe. Deleting it causes Word to create a new version the next time that you run it and there is no need for any disks.

pj123 22:47 04 Aug 03

normal.dot is normally found in C:\windows\application data\microsoft\templates find it there and delete it. Then start Word 97 again and it will make a new one.

deneka 22:59 04 Aug 03

Thank you all for your help (although i didnt understand most of it ) somehow i found my way.
i did as you advised pj123 and it is fixed. Thank you so so much for that.

krypt1c 23:11 04 Aug 03

As with most MS 'answers' sense has got little to do with it. Anyway, a root around various sites suggested by various search engines points to re-installing Office is the way to go.
You may be able to pick up a copy at a computer fair fairly cheaply. btw you can display hidden files in folder options. I'n not sure how it#s done in W98, but if you open help, selct index then key in hidden it should tell you how to view hidden files. best of luck

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…