Problems with Word

cheeky74 00:44 25 Mar 06

I have Word on my pc but all of a sudden when i go to open a file it states 'the file ___ is not availabe'. The when I go to close it it throws me to a save box with templates. Is this linked at all to my concurrent problems with norton antivirus 2003 which suddenly stopped working??!
Thanks for any clues!

Forum Editor 00:54 25 Mar 06

could have more than one cause. It could mean that the drive to which the file was saved is no longer there, or is corrupted.

It could mean that you've moved the file from its original location.

Or it could mean that it has ceased to exist - it's been deleted.

cheeky74 01:15 25 Mar 06

Ok but same message occurs with every word file I have. Something fishy is going on as when I try to close down word it takes me to a box and asks me if I want to save the existing file 'normal' (whatever that is) in 'templates'. Perhaps my only solution is to uninstall and re-install?

Devil Fish 01:17 25 Mar 06

open up word click on tools then options then file locations the first in in the list should be documents

by default this is set to save in my documents if this has changed you can change it back by clicking the modify button bottom right and navigate back to your save folder

cheeky74 01:26 25 Mar 06

Tried that and is as it should be. I tried system restore but it won't allow the restore to any points at all.

Djohn 01:31 25 Mar 06

It may be that your template file, normal.dot is corrupt. Go to start/search and type in without the quotes

'normal.dot'

Delete any it finds, reboot your machine and all should be well again with a bit of luck, please post back to let us know if this cures the problem as it will be useful for other forum members.

Thanks to VoG for telling me this some 4 years back. ;o)

cheeky74 01:48 25 Mar 06

Did that, found 2 and deleted them, re-booted but still same problems although is now saying 'requesting virus scan' but i have no virus software as it died on me so I wonder if the 2 events are related?

Devil Fish 02:07 25 Mar 06

Antivirus software has died on you.

you may have a nasty

if you want to run a scan

online scan click here

also if you want to try a different av

click here classic is free

click here home is free

click here free edition

make sure you uninstal norton first if you decide to change

Djohn 02:17 25 Mar 06

If you don't have any protection against virus then you need one immediately. use AVG, its one of the best, used by many members of this forum and its free.

Go to the following link, download the free version, install, come off the net and do a full scan of your machine. Delete anything it finds. If your using XP as your operating system, turn off system restore before doing the scan by right clicking on your My computer Icon/properties and system restore tab, place a tick in the box to turn off, once you've got rid of any virus, turn sys restore back on again.
Link for AVG. click here

Djohn 02:18 25 Mar 06

Ah! I see Devil Fish has replied with help for you, I forgot to refresh the page before posting and missed the post.

cheeky74 02:20 25 Mar 06

Thanks I will try that. I have a problem uninstalling Norton AV as it's starts to uninstall but then keeps stopping at the 'removing system registry values' stage. I seem to be stuck!! : (

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…