Problems with Wireless.

diesel1948 18:35 14 Jan 11

I have a Belkin wireless adaptor in my desktop computer and I have always been able to connect to the wireless network. I recently bought a new Belkin Surf Router and I've not been able to connect since.

First of all it mentioned something about certificate of authentication. I removed a check box something like the 812.xx EEE. Then it asked for a network Key. I was using WPA security, 8 digits long. It wouldn't accept the code, saying it needed to be 5 or 13 characters. I changed the properties on the desktop i want to connect to the internet to WEP and put the code in and it connected.

However, the internet doesn't work. It just says "diagnose connection problems." I clicked this and it took me through a few steps.Eventually it came up with this diagnostic log:

diesel1948 18:35 14 Jan 11

Last diagnostic run time: 01/14/11 18:18:24 Gateway Diagnostic
Gateway

info The following proxy configuration is being used by IE: Automatically Detect Settings:Disabled Automatic Configuration Script: Proxy Server: Proxy Bypass list:
info This computer has the following default gateway entry(ies): 0.0.0.0
warn There is no default gateway entry
action Automated repair: Reset network connection
action Disabling the network adapter
action Enabling the network adapter
info Network adapter successfully enabled
info This computer has the following default gateway entry(ies): 0.0.0.0
warn There is no default gateway entry
info Redirecting user to support call

IP Layer Diagnostic
Corrupted IP routing table

warn The default route is missing or invalid
Invalid ARP cache entries

action The ARP cache has been flushed

IP Configuration Diagnostic
Invalid IP address

info Valid IP address detected: 192.168.0.1

Wireless Diagnostic
Wireless - Service disabled

Wireless - User SSID

action User input required: Specify network name or SSID
Wireless - First time setup

info The Wireless Network name (SSID) to which the user would like to connect = Belkin.7B08.
Wireless - Radio off

info Valid IP address detected: 192.168.0.1
Wireless - Out of range

Wireless - Hardware issue

Wireless - Novice user

Wireless - Ad-hoc network

Wireless - Less preferred

Wireless - 802.1x enabled

Wireless - Configuration mismatch

Wireless - Low SNR

WinSock Diagnostic
WinSock status

info All base service provider entries are present in the Winsock catalog.
info The Winsock Service provider chains are valid.
info Provider entry MSAFD Tcpip [TCP/IP] passed the loopback communication test.
info Provider entry MSAFD Tcpip [UDP/IP] passed the loopback communication test.
info Provider entry RSVP UDP Service Provider passed the loopback communication test.
info Provider entry RSVP TCP Service Provider passed the loopback communication test.
info Connectivity is valid for all Winsock service providers.

Network Adapter Diagnostic
Network location detection

info Using home Internet connection
Network adapter identification

info Network connection: Name=Local Area Connection, Device=VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter, MediaType=LAN, SubMediaType=LAN
info Network connection: Name=Wireless Network Connection, Device=Belkin 802.11g Wireless Card, MediaType=LAN, SubMediaType=WIRELESS
info Both Ethernet and Wireless connections available, prompting user for selection
action User input required: Select network connection
info Wireless connection selected
Network adapter status

info Network connection status: Connected

HTTP, HTTPS, FTP Diagnostic
HTTP, HTTPS, FTP connectivity

warn HTTP: Error 12007 connecting to click here: The server name or address could not be resolved
warn HTTPS: Error 12007 connecting to click here: The server name or address could not be resolved
warn FTP (Passive): Error 12007 connecting to click here: The server name or address could not be resolved
warn HTTP: Error 12007 connecting to click here: The server name or address could not be resolved
warn HTTPS: Error 12007 connecting to click here: The server name or address could not be resolved
warn FTP (Active): Error 12007 connecting to click here: The server name or address could not be resolved
error Could not make an HTTP connection.
error Could not make an HTTPS connection.
error Could not make an FTP connection.

Sorry about the length of the post, I just provided as much info as possible. I'm running windows XP on the desktop but windows 7 on the wired desktop.

Thankyou in advance for the help.

Regards,

Tel.

961 18:54 14 Jan 11

Have you set up your new router with the necessary settings to connect to your ISP?

You should have the necessary instructions in the router manual

woodchip 18:59 14 Jan 11

Have you been into the Router Setup Page using Internet Explorer????? You have to start Internet Explorer then put the Router Address into the Address Bar. This is mine that you could try

http:// 192.168.1.1 I have left a Space after // so PCA does not change it to a Click Hear, you need to close this space when you enter it into the above. It should then open a Log in Page if it says admin just type admin and pre enter. Its the Wireless Settings you need to sort as if you connect it with a Ethernet Cable it should connect if you already setup a ISP connection. If not you will need to run setup in the above

john bunyan 19:02 14 Jan 11

When I first got my Belkin n+ router I had some difficulties and found their telephone helpline excellent - they phoned back so the cost was minmal.( Ithink in the Philippines)

diesel1948 19:31 14 Jan 11

I'll try all suggestions when i have time. All the laptops in the house can connect to the wireless internet.

It's just the desktop. If push comes to shove then I'll ring Belkin but PCAdvisor has never let me down before!

Thanks so far for the help.

rdave13 19:40 14 Jan 11

Your log shows a proxy setting? In IE, tools, internet options, connection tab, lan settings, untick 'use a proxy server...'.

diesel1948 10:45 24 Jan 11

Thank you for all the advice the problem has now been resolved.

numskull 11:30 24 Jan 11

Should these both be switched on or just one at a time? In the house my signal drops to one bar with 3g switched on but get four bars with 3g switched off. Outside work I get 5 bars on 3g but obviously not connected to Wifi. I've read that poor 3g signal areas will decrease battery life but also read, "What's the point of having a 3g phone if 3g is switched off!"

numskull 11:30 24 Jan 11

Sorry posted in wrong section. Doh!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5