Problems with wireless.

Daniel-1442071 21:36 24 Apr 10

Recentley I have come across an older PC of mine, which i'm currentley trying to set up enabling me to access the internet wirelessly. And even though i'm able to access the internet on many laptops within the house, i can't get this desktop to access the internet, and I really starting to pull my hair out here ! I don't know exactley what details of my computer you need, be it the DxDiag, or msconfig information, just lemme know what you guys need to know, and i'll get the information! I know I haven't given a lot of detail out because i don't want to fill half the page with waffle ! So apologies for the lack of information to start with. Looking forward to hearing from you !

Daniel

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:05 24 Apr 10

What operating system?
Does the machine have a wireless card?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:05 24 Apr 10

What operating system?
Does the machine have a wireless card?

Daniel-1442071 22:06 24 Apr 10

Its currentley on Windows XP Professional, and i'm using a Belkin Wireless G USB Adapter, if this helps ?

Daniel-1442071 22:19 24 Apr 10

I also have access to a Linksys Wireless-G Notebook Adapter 2.4GHz Card, although i believe this to be a rather old useless card i'm unsure (: I'm rather computer illiterate ! So apologies !

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:26 24 Apr 10

1.Right-click the wireless network icon in the lower right corner of your screen, and then click View Available Wireless Networks.

Note: If you run into problems, consult the documentation that came with your network adapter.

2.The Wireless Network Connection window appears and displays your wireless network listed with the SSID you chose. If you don't see your network, click Refresh network list in the upper left corner. Click your network, and then click Connect in the lower right corner.

3.Windows XP prompts you to enter a key. Type the encryption key that you wrote down earlier in both the Network key and Confirm network key boxes, and then click Connect.

Wireless Network Connection window network key page

4.Windows XP will show its progress as it connects to your network. If the Wireless Network Connection window continues to show Acquiring Network Address, you may have mistyped the encryption key—click Cancel and return to step 3.

After you're connected, you can close the Wireless Network Connection window. Now you're ready to browse the Web wirelessly.

Daniel-1442071 22:30 24 Apr 10

That's the problem, all laptops and such can do that with ease. I used my BT setup disk and it said my computer could be used wirelessly, i'm just having problems finding the Network, the list is actually empty all the time, whereas on the current laptop I am on now, is finding 4-5 (neighbours etc), so i'm unsure if it's the wireless card itself, or something else?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:51 24 Apr 10

Click change Advanced settings -

make sue connect using box has your belkin adaptor selected - then click wireless network tab - tick box Use windows to configure my wireless network - click OK.

Then click the wireless network icon again and hopefully it will see the wireless network.

Daniel-1442071 22:58 24 Apr 10

Yep mate, the boxes are already ticked, and the wireless adapter is set to the Belkin one !
Sorry about this, it's been akward all day, and i just don't know where to go from here ! hah, really appreciate the help though =]

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…