Problems with Windows XP/2000 Pro

Gaz W 21:41 04 Apr 03

I have computers running Windows XP Pro and Windows 2000 Pro on a Windows 2000 Domain. Everything is OK with it at the moment, except that the only user able to install programs is Administrator. The only way to allow other users to install programs is to make them administrators, but doing this grants them access to all users' My Documents folders, defeating the object of having users in the first place! Also, Administrators can give themselves access to whatever they want, so I'm not sure what to do about that.

The other problem is with Nero Burning ROM - any normal user can't use it because it says :

"Under Windows 2000 Administrator rights are required by Nero to access cd recorders and cd-rom/dvd-rom drives. Please log on with administrator rights and retry."

Why should it say this when all users have access to the DVD (or CD) drives and the CD-RW?

Is there a way to allow users to install programs without them being a full Administrator, and to create/copy CDs?

AndySD 23:10 04 Apr 03

Nero BurnRights click here

As to installing programs, why on earth would you wish to allow users to add programs or is it a personal network.

recap 13:44 05 Apr 03

If you really want to allow users to install software then right click the D: and select "Run As".

But be aware that by allowing users to burn their on CD's they can also burn programs from the workstation they are sat at.

Gaz W 14:21 05 Apr 03

It's a personal network & I want to allow a certain users (except guests, etc) to be able to install programs so I don't have to keep doing it myself with the Administrator password.

Using "Run As" doesn't always work successfully, as normal users cannot edit the Registry or access C drive fully, which seems to happen automatically and is not the result of setting any restrictions!

Gaz W 14:24 05 Apr 03

It doesn't bother me about burning programs from the workstation because it's only a personal network I made so I could learn a bit more about networking.

Gaz W 14:31 05 Apr 03

Tried "Run As" with Nero and it took ages before it would start, and I couldn't do anything else while I was waiting. Also, the program itself froze and I had to end it, so I'll try the Nero BurnRights program now.

Gaz W 16:51 05 Apr 03

Unfortunately, running the NeroRights program had no effect whatsoever! I set it to "Everyone" to allow everyone to be able to write to CDs, and still it won't work. I don't want to mess about with creating a new user group and have devised another method of stopping guests using Nero.

Maybe the program was for the wrong version of Nero? I am currently using version 5.0.0.1, but I didn't notice anything on the site to download it from.

Gaz W 21:49 05 Apr 03

Help! I can't get it to work at all and I'm not sure why - I have tried the program you suggested and have restarted several times, but it still won't work!

Probably more importantly, how would I go about allowing non-Administrators to install programs?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…