Problems with Windows XP swapfile

wheelie 22:57 13 Jun 03

On two occasions now I have tried to alter the default size of the Windows swap file (currently set at 144Mb). On both occasions this has resulted in my User Profile becoming corrupted, requiring a reinstallation of the OS and all the software.

Does anyone know of a *safe* way to alter the size of the swapfile?

**NOTE: simply changing the values under System/Performance/Advanced doesn't work. Been there, done that, had to reload everything from scratch...TWICE!!

Gaz 25 23:03 13 Jun 03

Umm, I had simalr problems where my PC restarted.

Try safe mode,

continous press of F8 during boot up of you PC, should show a menu where you can go to safe mode, retry, it should now work.

wheelie 23:15 13 Jun 03

The problem with that is that I'm not sure what will happen when I restart in "normal" mode. I don't really want to try anything risky as it's a pig of a job to reload all the software from scratch.

Gaz 25 23:27 13 Jun 03

I know, maybe wait for more opinions, but Anti-virus, etc can cause this and especially Zonealarm.

marjted 23:31 13 Jun 03

Would Cacheman be of use to you?
click here

wheelie 14:22 16 Jun 03

Been trying it for a few days and it doesn't seem to make a lot of difference either way. It certainly doesn't allow me to manually change the size of the swap-file (which is what I was trying to do).

On the basis that "if it ain't broke, don't fix it, I might just leave well enough alone and mark this as resolved. But if anyone has any other suggestions, feel free to post them.

wheelie 20:34 20 Jun 03

Problem finally sorted!

I didn't notice the button labelled "Set" under the values boxes. (doh!)

Pressing that after changing the values allows me to set the swap file to whatever size I like. Now to find the optimal size...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…