problems with windows updates

misty72 11:24 25 Sep 07

For the past two days (on two occassions) windows has been downloading up-dates to my computer.when i go to re-start i cant open in normal mode so have to open in safe mode and do system restore to sort the problem.
I have windows xp installed,anyone any ideas of what the problem is and can i stop windows dowmloading these updates?
I posted this yesterday on beginners but have had no replys so hopeing someone here can advice me, thanks in advance.

mags

wrg 11:40 25 Sep 07

To be on the safe side you should do a virus, spyware, adware check. To turn off updates go to start - control panel - click on automatic updates. Here you will get 4 options. Choose which one you want. It may not be wise to turn off automatic updates as you may need them, not sure what others think.

misty72 12:38 25 Sep 07

thanks, i am in the process of scanning for any virus etc.
I have windows set for automatic updates to be downloaded once per week and dont really want to start changing it,dont understand enough about it to mess about with it.
Windows has already installed up-dates earlier and had to start in safe mode but have just noticed that windows icon has come up again saying updates are ready to be installed!

wrg 13:57 25 Sep 07

Is it set to download and install automatically?

misty72 14:11 25 Sep 07

yes it is set to download automatic, i have just noticed that earlier downloads failed!
Succesfully downloaded 30 updates a while ago and is now downloading another 30?
The problem is i have borrowed this hard-drive till mine gets fixed so i dont know a great deal about its history and the owner is non the wiser.

wrg 14:17 25 Sep 07

Have the problems only started since you borrowed the hard drive?

Pamy 15:12 25 Sep 07

If the borrowed HDD is diferent make and/or capacity than your original, then windows may see it as a different computer and will require activating XP.

misty72 15:51 25 Sep 07

hi, yes problem only started with this hard-drive, had no problems with my own (not with windows anyway.
Yes hard-drive is a different make/capacity than my own, im still using my own monitor.
Had to do another system restore just now,computer wouldnt start after downloading windows update,again.
I have turned the updates off,probably not wise to do so but am constantly getting told that up-dates are available and then the computer crashes when re-starting.
Not having much luck with computers these days think i might give up or take a course in computer maintenance,seem to spend so much time trying to sort issues,lol.

wrg 16:15 25 Sep 07

Obviously a problem with the hard drive, as the hard drive is not yours and will be returning to its owner you probably should not do any downloads anyway & by the sounds of the number of downloads you are getting it looks like updates have not been carried out for a while.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac