Problems With Windows Update v5

kuhbler 19:19 02 Aug 04

I've been using this ok for the past month or so with no problems, but after an update installing an update for v5 last week I can no longer check for updates. The v5 screen comes up, I click on one of the Install options then it hangs at the search screen.

Looking at the FAQs etc doesn't seem to point me in the right direction. Also when I click on View Installation History there is nothing in there, which leads me to believe that one the files has managed to corrupt itself. I have tried re-installing it, but that didn't make any difference.

Is there a way to get back to version 4 at least until version 5 is properly released with SP2? I did manage to download some update yesterday by managing to bypass the v5 and getting back on to v4 using the Windows Catalogue website, but I can't remember how to do it now! unfortunately this didn't hold, as soon as I clicked on Windows Update again it re-installed v5 and I was back to square one again.

Any help would be appreciated!
MSI MS-6380 K7T 266 Pro 2
AMD XP 1600+
512mb DDR 2100
MSI Geforce 4 Ti4600 (Drivers 5663)
Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro
Win XP Pro 2002
IE 6 sp 1

csqwared 19:50 02 Aug 04

I'm basing this on what I've read as I use W98, but can you not do a system restore back to before v5 and take it from there?

Spark6 21:07 02 Aug 04

What is Windows Update v5? Please forgive my ignorance.

jonnytub 21:22 02 Aug 04

windows update v5 is the new microsoft update site. Anyone having problems with this and in desperate need of an update should type "v4" into google and follow the first link.

georgemac 21:31 02 Aug 04

do you run sygate personal firewall? I was having problems with it until I turned off the firewall.

GaT7 22:49 02 Aug 04

georgemac has a valid point. Even if it's not Sygate, temporarily disabling your AV+firewall sw before you d'load/install updates may do the trick. Good luck, G

User-312386 23:03 02 Aug 04

having no problems with SPXP2 windows V5

However, did you not get the link from microsoft for the registry patch to update V5?

If you did not install the registry patch then you can not use V5 until SPXP2 comes "online" to the general public

User-312386 23:05 02 Aug 04

1. To download the script, click BetaPlace <click here>.
2. Log in using your passport.
3. Click the Windows Update link.
4. Click the Downloads link in the left pane.
5. Click the link.
6. Follow the directions for the download application.
7. After the file is downloaded, unzip it.
8. Double-click the ssrk_edw.reg file to set the key in your registry.

Spark6 23:22 02 Aug 04

Your info re v5 frightens the life out of me. I'll leave mine as it is until SP2 is up, running and proved!

kuhbler 23:15 03 Aug 04

GeorgeMac, you're a star, that sorted it out!

Any idea how I can set Sygate up to allow the Windows Update check through?

georgemac 08:47 04 Aug 04

no afraid not, have also uninstalled sygate as I now have a router with firewall so cannot even have a play.

may be worth looking through the logs to see if it was blocking anything then allow the application?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…