Problems with Windows Media Player, Realplayer ...

snushall 16:02 05 Jun 06

I have recently taken delivery of a new Evesham PC.
I fairly quickly experienced numerous issues with WMP 'encountering a problem and needing to close' once I had installed ZoneAlarm and AVG anti-virus software (both freebie editions) On Evesham Tech Support's advice, I removed ZA and reinstated Windows XP's firewall. This seems to have cured the problem with WMP ...
Since installing Realplayer however (I need this to listen to missed BBC radio broadcasts apparently)I have had loads of problems with Windows hanging up whilst attempting to shut it down. Again on Evesham's advice I have today removed RP, but am reluctant to restore the PC to its factory settings as suggested if the problem persists. I'm intending to monitor these issues over the next few days.
Can anyone recommend a reliable alternative to WMP and RP, or comment on the possible conflict between ZoneAlarm and AVG?
I am relatively new to this. The PC is still only one month old, and I'm finding this all very frustrating. Any help, or comments, with regard to the issues raised would be appreciated. Many thanks.

ade.h 16:15 05 Jun 06

RealPlayer is widely hated. The obvious alternative is, er, Real Alternative (available at but, as much as I like it for BBC streams, I sometimes have to fall back on Jet Audio as an external player. You'd be wise to have both.

WMP? I like it a lot and have never had an issue with it directly. I suppose you could try Winamp or Media Player Classic.

ade.h 16:16 05 Jun 06

Or Jet Audio for that matter; it covers everything bar the in-browser streams.

VoG II 16:18 05 Jun 06

Try RealAlternative click here

ZA should not conflict with AVG - see click here

40apple40 10:43 12 Jun 06

i use avg & zonealarm free additions with no conflicts so they should be fine.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…