PROBLEMS WITH Windows ME

johnpalmer 11:44 09 Oct 04

I have recently had a total collapse of my hard drive, and being a complete twit, lost all my data due to not having a back up facility.

I have now had the failed 40gb hard drive replaced with a new 80gb one.

As MESH only supplied me with an ME recovery disc when new, it was a struggle to re-install the operating system satisfactorily.

The computer works OK, but a lot of the system tools were never re-installed (e.g. UK Language etc)for the keyboard settings.

I have two questions.

1. If I buy a FULL Windows ME CD, can I re-install over the existing operating system in order to 'repair' it, without losing the existing software etc.

2. The 80gb hard drive is partitioned into C: (39gb)and D:(34.5gb)and the D: section is completely unused and empty.

Can I install a completely seperate operating system on D:, for example XP, without affecting the C: drive.

I don't want to lose ME completely, as certain items of purchased software will not work on XP.

Regards

John Palmer

YOU WILL HAVE NO PORS INSTALLING XP ON D YOU WILL BE ABLE TO SEE DRIVE WHATEVER
BUT IF YOU CHOSE NTFS FILEING SYSTERM YOU WONT BE ABLE TO SEE THE DRIVE UNDER ME
TO SEE XP ON ME YOU NEED D RIVE TO BE FORMATTED FAT FILEING SYSTERM

Rogerfredo 11:59 09 Oct 04

It seems a bit drastic to buy a new ME cd.
Can't you re-install the UK keyboard from the Add/ remove programs icon in Control Panel?
You certainly can install XP on a separate partition to ME and "dual boot" ( the opening screen giving the option to boot into either system.)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…