Problems with Windows 98

When I start Windows 98, I get the following error message:-

Cannot find a device file that may be needed to run windows or windows application.

The system registry or SYSTEM.INI file refers to this device file, but the device file no longer exists.

Press any key to continue.

Anyone have any ideas where the problem is?

After that I get the following message:-

Unable to load dynamic link library

The system cannot find the file specified.

Some or all of the following featurenot available.

Microsoft network

Stuartli 20:27 27 Sep 03

Have you run SFC (System File Checker)? Key sfc into Start>Run and it should find the missing video file(s) from your OS disk or HDD if you have installed a copy.

STEVE1052 20:31 27 Sep 03

HI There,
Go to click here and type the msnp32.dll into the search engine,find a site to download the file and follow instructions where to put the file,usually it will be either Windows system or system 32

MAJ 20:32 27 Sep 03

You have to delete "Client for Microsoft Network" in Network Neighbourhood or Control Panel > Networks (it's been a while and I can't remember which), reboot your PC and then reinstall "Client for Microsoft Network". It's an old, known problem in Win 98.

Thanks for the tip. I'll try them now.

Thanks everyone for the help. I had to install Microsoft Network and that sorted all the problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…