Problems when shut Down Computer

DW9047 20:54 31 Aug 04

I am having problems when shutting down PC, not all the time but sometimes. The error message I get is...."Windows protection error, you need to restart your Computer, Sytem Halted" The screen is then frozen and you can only turn off by holding in the on/off button on the case. Also very slow at times in opening programs. I have run a thorough Scan disc and it did find a fix errors. It also has Norton Antivirus v5.0, I have run the virus scan and nothing found.

System spec is AMD Duron 750, 256 Ram, 20gb HD(18gb free space). Windows ME

Any thoughts or suggestions would be gratefully apreciated.

Thanks
Dave

stalion 21:26 31 Aug 04

run a scan with this click here

Dan the Confused 21:27 31 Aug 04

click here

Just in case it's being caused by spyware though:

Ad-aware click here

Spybot S&D click here

Also, if Norton AV is configured to scan the floppy on shutdown this can cause the error message as well (apparently).

DW9047 21:55 31 Aug 04

Thanks both for your responses.

I have tried the quick and easy one first and that is to disable the option in Norton AV to scan floppy on shutdown or restart.

So far I have tried shutting down Several times with no problem, no problems with speed of opening programs at moment either, and have now, maybe coincidence, but have got windows start sound back at start up...

Will keep on moitoring and try out links you have given if needed.

Many Thanks
Dave

DW9047 19:25 01 Sep 04

Have not had any problems yet in shutting down since disable Scan of floppy on Shutdown or restart.

But when you boot up and it opens to your desktop there is the beautiful sound every time of the Windows startup tune. Not on this PC, it sometimes works and most of the time it boots up with no tune. The Sound is working fine, if I play a CD it plays fine.

So any thoughts, probably something simple.

Thanks
Dave

Dan the Confused 22:00 02 Sep 04

Could be to do with what programs are loaded at Windows startup. Click start>run and type msconfig (press enter) then click on startup tab and uncheck any programs you don't need. Another (more user friendly) way of doing this is to use click here

You could also try cleaning all junk files off your system using CleanUp! click here and cleaning the registry with EasyCleaner click here

Defragging your hard drive may help too.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date and features: Google Allo is…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…