Problems when burning disks

speedbird_zero1 12:49 01 Dec 03

I am running Win98se, with an AMD XP 2600 processor and 256mb DDR ram, I use Easy CD Creator 5, i have tried various makes of disks including Memorex, infiniti, and others yet the problem is still the same,I.e burning stopping at various points on the disk, not starting at all on some occasions, freezing pc. the common error message is buffer under run. i do not use other applications whilst burning and the burner is an LG 52 speed only about 3 months old. I got this one as my last developed exactly the same issues. I would be grateful for any advise or help on this one please. Mike

Diodorus Siculus 13:08 01 Dec 03

Going by what is on Google, there are some compatibility issues between EasCDCReator 5 and Win98SE.
Did a Burning prog come with the new CD drive - eg Nero? It is possible to pick up a copy of Nero fairly cheaply.

Diodorus Siculus 13:11 01 Dec 03

Further, somebody has solved the problems by updating video drivers! click here

Octoz 13:12 01 Dec 03

I have run Win98SE and EZCD for sometime and rarely encounter problems unless I leave my AV software running whilst trying to burn disks.

speedbird_zero1 13:13 01 Dec 03

As a matter of fact one did come with the drive Nero 5.5, i will uninstall easy cd and put nero on, that might just be the ticket, thank you i will let you know how it goes tommorrow.

JIM 13:15 01 Dec 03

Buffer Under-run/Over-run

Buffer underruns are generally caused by a number of things: The performance of your system
Size and number of the files you're recording
Location of the temporary directory and source files Older device drivers (8 / 16 bit drivers)
Busmastering enabled for the IDE controllers
Applications / TSRs running in the background
Quality of recordable media

check,

1/ Close all running applications before launching Easy CD Creator by pressing [CTRL] + [ALT] + [DEL] and End Task on all except 'Explorer' and 'Systray.'

2/ Run both Scandisk and Defrag on the hard disk(s) (To run click on 'Start', 'Programs', 'Accessories', and 'System Tools'.)

3/ Clean Temp directory, in \WINDOWS\TEMP - move or delete all files and folders

4/Make sure no real mode drivers are loading from CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT (Rename the files to *.BAK or place a REM in front of each driver load statement)

5/ForWin 98 systems go to the settings tab in Device Manager for each IDE device on your system and remove the check mark in the DMA box.

6/ Update your video driver to current version - check with your video controller manufacturer for details

7/ Make sure the firmware on the recorder is current - most manufacturers publish the latest firmware on their web site

8/ Disable screen savers and ALL power management

9/ Do not multi-task while recording

10/ Do not record from a compressed drive

11/ Log off all network connections

12/ For Win 98 systems, set the following for the CD-ROM properties in Device Manager

In Control Panel, select 'System' icon

Click on the (+) on the CD-ROM

Highlight your recorder listed then click on 'Properties' button

Disable Sync Data Transfer / Enable Disconnect / Enable Auto Insert Notification on the 'Settings' tab

13/Make sure the C: drive has plenty of free space, recommend about 1 1/2 times the amount you want to record to CD

14/ Try a different brand of recordable media, recommend blank disks with the green or blue dye coating

15/Create a temp directory on the root of the hard drive with most space available. Change the temp directory that Easy CD Creator uses as the buffer during the record process

16/For Win 98 systems - check for the following in \WINDOWS\SYSTEM\IOSUBSYS and rename if found:

atapchng.vxd (used by CD changers)

necatapi.vxd (only if you do not have a NEC brand IDE CDROM)

scsi1hlp.vxd

torisan3.vxd (used only by Torisan brand 3 CD changers)

There may be others loaded by various software packages that will conflict, generally from other CD writing or similar products.

17/ For Win 98 systems set the Optimize access pattern to 'No Read ahead', if it's already at 'No Read ahead', try setting it for 'Quad Speed' or higher:

In Control Panel, select 'System' icon

Click on 'File System' button in 'Performance' tab

Change the 'Optimize access pattern for' under 'CD-ROM' tab

Diodorus Siculus 13:15 01 Dec 03

speedbird_zero1 - ok, but have a look at the nero site / roxio site for info about how to unintall the original before installing a new one.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…