Problems using ISP's version of IE

Pineman100 14:55 03 May 07

Here's a complicated one - I hope I don't bore you asleep before I've finished explaining!

An English friend who lives in France has set himself up with Orange broadband, including an Orange router, running under XP SP2 Home. The software that came with the kit includes a browser, which I'm pretty sure is actually an Orange shell around IE7.

He finds the following problem:-

If he visits a website that offers a "click here for print-friendly version of this page" function, he clicks that link. The print-friendly page then appears. But if he then clicks "print", nothing happens.

If he clicks "print" a second time, the following error message appears:

"WOOBrowser has encountered a problem and needs to close"...plus the usual "please send report to Microsoft... etc. etc". When he clicks Don't Send the browser closes.

If he opens Internet Explorer independently of the Orange browser, this problem doesn't arise. So I'm assuming that it's some problem relating specifically to the Orange browser.

Anyone got any ideas please?

Kate B 15:03 03 May 07

The simple answer is don't use the Orange version of the browser! Sometimes you do need to use an ISP's version of a browser to connect, but once online, just fire up the preferred browser and use that instead.

MAJ 15:07 03 May 07

Why not just use IE or Firefox?
English version: click here
French Version: click here

Pineman100 14:04 05 May 07

Kate B and MAJ - many thanks. Your advice makes complete sense.

My problem in advising this guy is that he's elderly and not at all computer-literate (even less than me!). When he clicks the Connect button on the Orange interface, the browser launches automatically, and he reckons he's just invented cold fusion!

To get him to close that browser and open a different one is like asking him to pilot the Starship Enterprise.

I was hoping that someone might know the reason why this pesky Orange browser has the print problem I described above, and suggest a tweak to fix it.

You don't have any ideas do you?

Pineman100 18:45 07 May 07

^

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced